Does anyone have experience with patching a towable tube?

rov_aaaa

Cadet
Does anyone have any experience with this "Tear-Aid Type B" repair kit for patching an actual visible "pinky sized" hole in a vinyl tow-able tube?

Considering that my tube commonly has 200# people on it bouncing up and down on the water, I was hoping for something that looked more heavy duty, like the kind of patch you would use on a rubber white-water raft with epoxy.

This just doesn't look "heavy duty" at all, and I can't imagine it holding up with a 200# person bouncing up and down on it.

Does anyone have experience with this brand of repair kit? I don't want to open it so that I can return it if I find something better.

(56" obrien le-tube, about 5 years old, says the tube itself is vinyl)

http://www.tear-aid.com/

Last edited:

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Does anyone have experience with patching a towable tube?

I've used it on my towable and it seems to work pretty well. You could put down a small patch and let it bond, then put a larger piece over it if you are concerned. So far it's working on mine. It is far less costly than a new tube.

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

if you want a heavier patch use a bike tire parch kit or automotive tire patch kit.

rov_aaaa

Cadet

I guess I'll try it then. I think I'll try and see if I can patch it from both the inside and outside, so that the hole itself is the only place where 2 glue surfaces meet.

2ndtry

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've used a pretty light duty patch (actually it came with the tube) on a pinky sized hole, its worked for 2 years. We have some pretty big folks on it since with no problems.