Brakes who needs them?

hostage

Lieutenant
I have never towed anything in my life, with the exception of things I use to jerry-rigged to my go-cart when I was a kid. So any input here would be greatly appreciated. I am looking at some boats and one of the boats I am looking at has some "issues" with it. The guy listed 3 things wrong with it: torn exhaust bellows, faulting tilt indicator, and the trailer brakes are faulty.

He said this about the brakes:
The brakes are hydraulic drum, with the trailer tongue sliding to provide the pressure. The system can't hold brake fluid. I think the leak is somewhere around the left wheel but never looked very hard. Drums and shoes are like brand new as it has never worked since I've had it and who knows how long before that. I towed it from the storage with an Acadia and didn't know it was there. Don't have specs with me, but think boat is about 3500 lbs.

The boat is listed as 2600lbs according to 1 site and I am currently driving an AWD 3.5L V6 Acura MDX w/ towing package (max rated at 4500lbs boat). Would the trailer have issues passing any inspection, I am guessing it would. I have worked on brakes before, changed my disc brakes on my old Toyota. How hard and expensive could it be?

Thanks,

Hostage

NelsonQ

Lieutenant
Re: Brakes who needs them?

Drum brakes are different than disc brakes. More complicated, but still a DIY type job with a little mechanical know how.

As for the expense, depends on what's wrong. If its a leaky brake line, you'll need to re-run new lines (if you're not sure how to flare brake lines, etc you may want to get someone who does to do it) Either way, shouldn't be overly expensive.

As for your subject, 'Who Needs Them'. I'm not sure where you're located but when the boat/trailer combo exceeds 3000lbs here in Ontario, it's the law. So you may want to be sure that you're legal (as well as safe)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Had you looked at the stickies at the very top of this forum you would see one titled "Brake Requirements by State".

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It could also be just a bad wheel cyl, if it were me I would replace both sides with new backing plate assemblies. It includes new everything and they arent that expensive. One note though check the master cyl. if it is out of fluid and has been that way for any length of time it is toast as well. Total parts might be a couple hundred but well worth it to have brakes that function properly. Check out championtrailers.com they have some great info there on just what you are doing. Also if you get the boat might want to have the outdrive serviced ie new impeller, bellows fixed, driveshaft bellows inspected(that one can sink the boat if it goes) u-joints inspected, new fluid, re aligned and installed the tilt indicator can be fixed at the same time the drive is off if you chose. All togather these would be some money to have done so you may want to use that as a tool in your offer, could be 5-7 hundred give or take a few hundred either way depending on whats found once the drive is off.

Philster

Captain

Boat weight plus 1000 lbs for trailer plus a few hundred for fluids/fuel/gear/misc.

You need brakes.

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

I also tow with a small SUV.

I'd definitely suggest getting the brakes in order before getting the boat in the water. ;)

ply68

Recruit

I just acquired a Four Winns Sundowner 225. The trailer has brakes but it comes with a four pin connector and does not have a wire for the brake controls. Basically, from what I can see, the brake are only used for emergency (when the boat get unhitched) The boat is over 3500lbs so I want to have the brakes working. I do have a brake controller in my truck What do I need to do with the trailer to get the brakes working.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Ply, boat surge brakes don't use a brake controller unless they're electric over hydraulic (quite rare on boat trailers) or need a backup disconnect as with disc brakes (which is NEVER hooked to a brake controller). In other words, 90% don't.
As for the OP, you're over the edge weight wise. Get brakes!

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

If it's a wheel cyl leaking, just replace both backing plate assemblies (new cyl, shoes, hardware). A little over $40ea at wholesale marine.

All it'll take is one good panic stop without brakes on the trailer and your MDX is gonna be pushed all over the road, possibly into someone elses backseat.

Philster

Captain

I just acquired a Four Winns Sundowner 225. The trailer has brakes but it comes with a four pin connector and does not have a wire for the brake controls. Basically, from what I can see, the brake are only used for emergency (when the boat get unhitched) The boat is over 3500lbs so I want to have the brakes working. I do have a brake controller in my truck What do I need to do with the trailer to get the brakes working.

It doesn't have brake controls. It has 'surge brakes'. Nothing but physics enables/controls them.

Surge brakes work hydraulically using the force of a forward shift in the trailer caused by deceleration to compress a fluid cylinder and apply its brakes. That means that when you slow down, fluid and the mechanism surges forward and this force is strong enough to apply the trailer brakes.

I am oversimplifying, but that is the gist of it.