1969 Larson Valero and 196? Merc 1000 SS

chuckndiscs

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good Day!

So I bought my second boat, first runabout (first boat was a 14ft alumacraft fishing boat and johnson 9.5 HP -easy and reliable!) and I am prepping her for the maiden voyage! I have a couple of questions that I could use some advice on:

1. Rubbed the 3M Rubbing compound on today by hand until my arms were going to fall off. It looks better, not chalky anymore, shiny and smooth, wax coming next BUT the bottom still shows a darker stain from sitting at the previous owners dock... another run at the rubbing compound would help or its a permanent thing?

2. The tilt and trim doesn't lift the motor; HISTORY: I have three buttons. Top button says trailer up, middle button is split and says trim up on top half and down on bottom half, and bottom says out. The bottom button makes the motor run but I cant tell if anything to the motor happens. The middle button pushing up makes motor run as well but doesn't appear to move motor at all pushing down does nothing, and top up button does nothing. I'm hoping I have a short for the up button and it may yet work but I'm not holding my breath! Should I look to add fluid to it? Does it have a manual release? Think I can get my boat in and out of the water without it or do you really need tilt up to put the boat in and out?

3. Any highly recommended engine maintenance I should do before the first trip out? I have bucket ran the motor and it pee's water just fine but I know you all will say impeller likely :). Changed spark plugs already, going to do lower oil....Anything else?

THANKS everyone! Trying to make the first trip out successful without dropping oodles of money BUT I want to spend what I should to make it work... trying to find the balance. I am SO PUMPED for this boat! I have wanted a runabout for awhile and the price on this was do-able! Yeah!

Chuckndiscs

chuckndiscs

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1969 Larson Valero and 196? Merc 1000 SS

UPDATE: YESSS!!!!! I got the tilt and trim fixed! Spent the night reading up here on the forums and checked into the pump and fluid levels and it was as dry as could be! Went to the store, picked up some fluid and it worked! Counting my blessings on this one!

You all are fabulous and this place rocks! I did not even know what a tilt and trim was 2 weeks ago and now I know how to maintain it at least somewhat!

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Good for you! Congrats on the boat and for solving the problem. Have a great maiden voyage and make sure to come back and post details.

lazypt

Cadet

enjoy her and take some pics...I had a '68 wouldove see how the rubbing compound worked out.