1972 25Hp Evinrude elec. start

taotao61

Cadet
Hey all, I have had this 72, 25 hp evy for about three years....truly have enjoyed its performance on my 14 ft alum.

Heres the thing....It has electric start, but i dont have the female part of the wiring to hook up to the power source, or and ignition switch. I have pull started it all this time, and just thinking by now, I should use these elec. start! after all it would be sooooo much nicer!

any idea on how to find these parts for this engine or is there and easier way to rig something up to where i dont have to pay a mechanic for the parts and labor?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: 1972 25Hp Evinrude elec. start

The parts you need are probably listed with the electric start kit.
see
http://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?siteid=1&catalog_id=0&s1=3c9743d60833da436aa7321c85e1c9d4

Select OB Accessories from the dropdown list then, 1972 then electrical and finally electric starter kit

Provided you have the starter motor and the solenoid it should be pretty easy to rig something up. Battery cables and starter switch, button or key operated.

Normally it appears that an electric start model would have an electrically operated choke as well.

14ftgrumman

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1972 25Hp Evinrude elec. start

That part of the harness usually stayed with the boat, or got tossed when the motor was upgraded.

It is out of production from BRP.

I have the same motor as you and it took me 2 years of looking on eBay to find one. A Evinrude dealer was retiring and selling his old inventory on eBay. I asked if he had this harness, and he did. New Old Stock, still had the faxctory twine on it. Cost $150.00 plus shipping, but he did throw in a dash plate with key switch and choke button.

If you are patient and send enough inquiries, you might find one.