Probably dumb Smart Tabs question

virii01

Seaman
Got my Smart Tabs in today (speedy shipping from iboats).

The instructions say to mount 3-5 inches from the edge of the transom. On my boat, doing so would place the tab over a edge or contour (not sure of the name). I assume this is ok? Pics follow. The first shows the transom, the second with the mounting plate 3" from the edge, and the third with it 5" from the edge. Thanks

Hope these are worth it. It's going to be a PITA moving my transducers, speed sensor and trailer tie downs :D

Attachments

• IMG00021.jpg
    IMG00021.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00022.jpg
    IMG00022.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00023.jpg
    IMG00023.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 0

virii01

Seaman
Re: Probably dumb Smart Tabs question

Thank you kindly. Now I know that those are called strakes!

nlain

Commander

Mine are Stainless Steel but here is how I mounted them, believe me they are worth the effort.

2005_1016Image0020.jpg

2005_1016Image0017.jpg

2005_1016Image0016.jpg

2005_1016Image0015.jpg

Hope this helps a little

virii01

Seaman

I'm going to try to get the install started tonight. I will have to relocate the transducers and speed sensor which isn't hard, just a hassle. The bigger problem will be how my tow straps will work with these installed...

Boat is an 81 Mark Twain V-Sonic 170 with a 115 Johnson OB.

RL Gman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just have one quick point...

When you do cross the strakes, you dont want the tab to ever be lower than the hull, and by crossing the strake (with a straight line) it will have a section below the hull (as shown in pic #2).

I say this, because once ur done with the tabs (up on plane) you want to be able to get them out of the water in most cases...they are great for getting out of the water, and to help in little list issues, but pretty useless on plane (I pull them completely out of the water and just use engine trim).

virii01

Seaman

According to these instructions, it's okay to install it across the strakes.

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/trimtabs.htm

I just have one quick point...

When you do cross the strakes, you dont want the tab to ever be lower than the hull, and by crossing the strake (with a straight line) it will have a section below the hull (as shown in pic #2).

I say this, because once ur done with the tabs (up on plane) you want to be able to get them out of the water in most cases...they are great for getting out of the water, and to help in little list issues, but pretty useless on plane (I pull them completely out of the water and just use engine trim).

So, should I move them further inward to avoid installing them across a strake? I have a decent amount of room to work with, I just want to make sure I'm getting the best results possible.

RL Gman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry, I think my response was difficult to understand.

I meant...On your picture number 2, it looked as if the mounting bracket would have an area below the hull (basically, the way you were holding it, perhaps you meant to have it a bit higher...). I would not do that. I would make sure (as nlain has it) that the mounting is above the bottom of the hull, and allow the smarts to angle below.

I didnt mean it to sound that you shouldnt or couldnt mount across the strakes.

If it were my boat however, I would do exactly as nlain did, and mount inbetween. But thats based on personnal preference and what it "seems" to me would work better, not based on any marine engineering :)

180shabah

Rear Admiral

...could always contact the manufacturer and show them your pics....

virii01

Seaman

Thanks for the help guys. I searched for forum and found this thread:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=325584&highlight=tabs+strakes

in which a Nautics employee/rep posted:
Our recommendation for best performance is not cast in stone. For best side to side stability, the farther apart the tabs are the more stability. This does not mean that if you must move in toward the center more that the stability will not improve, it simply means that the best is to mount them outboard, just inside of the chine.

The strakes which run from the bow area to the back can be ignored when it comes to mounting locations.

I'll revist this thread after I get them mounted with pics and report on the performance.