installing a 12v cigarette lighter... what size wire and what size fuse?

tightstripes

Cadet
I'm installing a 12v cigarette lighter in my boat. Just put in a new switch panel. The outlet is going to only be about a foot from the panel (not sure if that matters) and I'll mostly be using it as a charger for my cell phone.

I was wondering what size wire to run from the 12v outlet to the swtich?

Also, what size fuse should I use?

Can anyone help me?

Re: installing a 12v cigarette lighter... what size wire and what size fuse?

Does the lighter have a amp rating on the package it came in. I would try see what that says for amperage and go from there. Maybe 12 gauge wire, overkill for charging a cell phone but you may plug in one of them 1,000,000 candlepower lights into it one day or who knows what.

DianneB

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe most automotive cigarette lighters are fused at 20A. That should be 12 Ga wire but car companies usually scrimp to 14 to save a few pennies.

I installed one recently for charging a laptop and other such things (not for lighting cigarettes - my battery power has better uses!) and fused it at 10A based on the laptop power supply being 65 Watts.

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Tightstripes: How did this work out for you? I want to do the same thing. I was going to stop by radio shack and see what they had for DC Outlets. Where did you get your outlet?

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

The main purpose of a fuse is to protect the wire downstream from overheating. In general, that would be 15 amps for #14 and 20 amps for #12.

mtp9302

Seaman Apprentice

These forums are great, I was going to ask the same question. The previous owner included a 12V socket loose with the boat, so I don't know what its power rating is. For what it's worth, I just happen to have some 12 gauge wire that I will use to do mine. I was thinking the fuse would be in the neighborhood of 10 - 20 A, so it's good to hear the confirmation on that as well.

I'll be watching what input others have as well. Thanks to the OP for asking the question, it helps more people than you might think.

Even Flow2

Cadet

Use one of these from your existing fuse panel. They work great!!

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_ATC-Fuse-Tap-Bussmann_5170038-P_N4017D_A%7CGRP2020A____[/U]
Then just buy the 12v recepticle of your choice to mount and connect it to this for power.

I personally put one under my steering console pointing down so less moisture could get in. I just use it for GPS or cell phone charging on occassion.

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Wow this couldn't have been easier. Went to Radio Shack and bought a 12v outlet, hook the pos and neg right up to the fuse block and mounted it under the steering wheel facing downward with the included plastic mounting bracket.