Where should the resistor be?

kdduval

Recruit
I have an 89 OMC 2.3 Cobra on a Four Winns 170 freedom.

When I turn the key to the start position, engine turns over, fires and attempts to run. As soon as I let the key go to the run position, the engine dies. The
service manual tells me to check the resistor (among other things,) but I can't locate it anywhere on the boat. Pictures online tell me that is could be attached to the coil bracket in an aftermarket version, but can anyone tell me where it should be in it's original placement? Hard to test the resistor if I can't find it........

Thanks,

The dumb girl working on the boat by herself

mkast

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Where should the resistor be?

I first thought, if the engine will run when the key is in the "START" position, but stalls in the "ON" position, the ignition switch might be bad. No power to the coil in the "ON" position.

kdduval

Recruit

I have replaced the ignition switch. Also have replaced points (gapped correctly,) condenser, rotor & plugs. Had the alternator tested too, it looks fine. Still waiting on the distributor cap to come in. I just got the boat a month or so ago and thought that replacing those parts needed to be done anyway as general maintenance items. At this point the manual calls for checking the resistor, I just need to find it. Could the previous owner have taken it out and installed a new coil that doesn't need a resistor? I just need to know exactly where to look for the resistor so that I can proceed accordingly. The boat has run since I purchased it, but we replaced some floor, fiberglass and carpet, and has not run since. I can tell it wants to run, but at the point that I let go of the key from "start" to "run" it stops running.

Blk-n-Blu

Master Chief Petty Officer

You could look at the coil and see if it is Internally resisted (printed on coil)

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Look in the Adult's Only thread and see if the OMC manual is there.

kdduval

Recruit

Posting here from work, but I will look when I get home. I read a lot here before I posted and got some I ideas I didn't have at home. Someone else started this project and I am taking over, so I haven't actually looked at the coil myself. Thanks!

kdduval

Recruit

I have the OMC manual at home and it does not indicate where it should be on the boat. Diagram tells me what it should be between, but not an actual location on the boat. ie somewhere between the ignition and coil.

kdduval

Recruit

Thanks! Link explains a lot. Will take a look at everything and do some testing when I get home. Appreciate everyone's help!

captk

Petty Officer 1st Class

In 1989 OMC was using a resistor wire Red/Purple 20ga. they quit using the ballast resistor by then. Check for voltage at the + side of the coil with the key on. If no voltage, key switch, plug , harness or resistor wir could be bad. also disconnect ESA module to rule it out. Good luck Bill