Too much oil ?

mwagne30

Petty Officer 3rd Class
We pullled the boat out of storage last weekend and are in the process of putting it in the water. I pulled the Dipstick and it looks like we may have 1Qt to much oil. now when we changed it last year we pulled the batterys after we fogged the engine and started the oil change. so I know some of the oil will prime the filter. But can you run with say 1 qt "Extra"? How much is too much? I know we had 6 qt of the Volvo penta oil, so I know one of my crew dumped it in.

z1nonlyone

Seaman
Re: Too much oil ?

Man, I hate to say this, but you might have water in the oil. We did when we found our oil level way too high. I would drain the oil and replace.

I will second that, perhaps water in the oil. I had the same issue, too much oil, and when I pumped it out, I had a TON of water in there. My initial thought was "wouldn't it be milky?"; not the case, the oil stood on top of the water, and when i pumped it out, first came the water, then came the oil, nice and separated. Would definately spend the money on new oil and pump it out, should take you an hour tops for piece of mind!

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since you haven't run it since changing oil, I would suggest starting it for a few minutes then shut it down. Wait 5-10 minutes to drain down and recheck. If still too much then draw some out. Too much oil can froth and float your lifters.

1980Galaxy

Petty Officer 1st Class

did you overfill it last year when you changed the oil? if you know that you filled it up too much, then just drain some of it out until its at the right level. If you don't know where the "extra" oil came from, then drain it all and look for water.

Engines do not like to be over filled. You are better to be a quart under than over. Hopefully it is just oil and not water as mentioned above, good luck.

mwagne30

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well We hit the key, let it come to temp and killed it. Pulled the dip stick and still had 1 over, Pulled it out and now we are good to go. No water! just oil Thanks for the help