'58 Evinrude 35 HP Upper/Lower Crankshaft Questions

Greetings!

I am new to this forum, and from what I have read so far I can say I really appreciate the kind and helpful way folks answer questions. I joined because I inherited grampa's old fishing boat and I know he will be smilin' from on high if I can get it running again and get out and catch a few fish.

From what I can tell I have a 1958 Evinrude 35 HP Big Twin (model # 25034). My uncle had it running 4 years ago but it has sat unused since then. I did manage to get it to start about 4 times for roughly 10 seconds each time, but since then it has not fired.

The points are quite oily and I have ordered new, but from what I understand, the upper crankshaft seal has probably failed and needs to be replaced, which is where my questions start.

1. The Seloc manual I borrowed from my uncle shows a nifty tool for removing the seal, but does anyone know where I might purchase one?

2. If the upper seal has failed, what are the chances that the lower seal has failed also?

3. If I only replace the upper seal for now, how will I know if the lower seal needs replaced as well?

Thanks in advance for you time and willingness to share your knowledge.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: '58 Evinrude 35 HP Upper/Lower Crankshaft Questions

If I recall correctly,the lower seal is a ceramic seal,chances are its ok.The upper seal becomes the problem as you found out with oiling of the points.There are different types of seal pullers.I have used one sold at Sears(craftsman)its shaped like a T with curved hook ends.You tap it into the seal and pry it out like a hammer does a nail.OR ,I like better the slide hammer,your basically screwing a screw into the seal ,then the shaft of the tool has a slideing weight that then pulls the seal out.If your careful,you can pull it with small screwdrivers.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Well, it might have a leaking seal and it might not have a leaking seal. If it is all fouled up with black crap, it might be from some yayhoo over greasing the armature plate mountings. I'd strip it all down and clean it all up and use very thin smear of grease to re-lube it.

Oil coming out of a leaking seal is clean, just like it was when you put it in the tank. Of course after it mixes with the above mentined black crap, the end result is more black crap.

Thank you for your help! Most everything under the flywheel is covered with clean oil. There is only a small amount of grease on the armature plate, and it is pretty clean too. I've ordered the seal, and I guess when I have the new one in hand to look at I will decide which tool would be best. I'm going to wait on the lower seal. I appreciate the input.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The lower seal is a totally different critter. Unless it is broken or has fallen off, it should be ok.

Thanks for your help! I got the upper seal removed and replaced last night. I just drilled a couple holes in it and used a screw to pull it out.

I finally got all of my parts delivered, so I replaced all the seals in the lower unit, the upper crankshaft seal, points, condensers, and water pump impeller last night. Today after work I put the rebuilt carb, the starter and the flywheel back on. I choked it and it fired on the first push of the starter switch. Pushed the choke in and it took right off on the second push of the switch! Sounds great!

Now I have to go pay the state their fees to register it and with any luck I might be on the water this weekend! Thanks again for your help!