Timing Question 40hp Force

Hello All,

Last year I brought a 1994 40 HP (Merc) Force back from the grave. The timing was done by a local shop. After a few failures, it ran great for 9 months. Now I have the gripe you see so often on this forum; it runs great at speed but barely idles and dies when put into gear. I have changed out the fuel line, fuel filter, cleaned the carb. I'm convinced it's timing. It was timed by the shop before. I've never reset the timing on an outboard and I have a shop manual on the way. I'm sure I can figure it out.

My question is: What is most likely my source of timing error? Last year a new stator was installed and it ran like new. Most of the major electrical components are new. Could this be as simple as the points needing to be readjusted? It's been run about 20 hours this year.

Appreciate any help in advance.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Timing Question 40hp Force

You say you cleaned the carb did you remove the main jet and clean the small holes in there?
Ethanol is messin up LOTS of motors. Go thru the entire fuel system.The hoses may be soft and melting.J

Re: Timing Question 40hp Force

Nope, didn't remove any jets. Didn't really know what I was doing there so I thought I'd try to slather it with tune-up in a can. When I get my manual I'll give it a serious cleaning.

I poured the contents of the fuel line in a white paper towel and didn't see anything. Cut open the fuel filter and it had a few black specs that smeared like tar, was not a lot.

Thanks again for your help.