1995 ocean pro 150 wont go into reverse

bradfordh

Cadet
The shift cable is free. Hard to get into neutral and wont go into reverse. Whats the problem? Shift shaft adjustment? Could it have slipped?:confused:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1995 ocean pro 150 wont go into reverse

You say "Hard to get into neutral and wont go into reverse."

Does the shifting procedure appear to be stiff, sticking, jaming...... or is it hard to get into neutral simply because it is skipping over neutral?

Are you attempting to shift with the engine NOT running. If so, you need to spin the propeller in order to align the shifter lobes on the shifter dog and the gears.

Has the lower unit been off? If so, I suspect that someone has changed the shift rod adjustment measurement. Lower unit would require to be removed again in order to set that shift rod measurement. I don't have the book on that measurement but someone here hopefully will jump in shortly with that info.

The shift rod adjustment cannot slip by itself. It is a threaded shaft.

Measurement must be made in neutral, from the top surface of the lower unit to the center of the shift rod hole.

bradfordh

Cadet

I just took it into the repair shop. Didn't have time to fool with it. I was running it on the muffs when trying to shift it with no luck Admiral. I will post and let you know what they find.

bradfordh

Cadet
Re: 1995 ocean runner 150 wont go into reverse

Re: 1995 ocean runner 150 wont go into reverse

I took it in to the repair shop. They said the o-rings on the shaft were gunked up probably salt. no preventive measures just get it all cleaned off every two years when you have the pump impeller replaced. $200 labor, Not too bad for dropping the lower unit.

jonesg

Admiral

Hey, alls well that ends well.:p
Just one more thing to check in the future.