1966 9.5 evinrude running rough i need some advice please

michael s.

Cadet
I am having the same problem( as in BIGDOUGS post below ) with my 1966 model 9.5 .I was given the motor as an added bonus along with a 7.0 hp gamefisher motor ,when i purchased a small jon boat and trailer last year . I found a local "retired"omc mechanic who was willing to let me bring it to him and he and I replaced the coils,points,condensors,fuel lines spark plug ends and changed the gear lube in the foot. While we were at it we took the carb apart and put a rebuild kit in it with new float, jets( the whole works) .After all the work we did we put it in his test tank and she fire off after only 3 pulls on the cord , she purred like a kitten after he did a few minor fuel mixture adjustments .We ran the motor for 10 to 15 minutes in the tank it ran fine at idle all the way to wide open ,not even a hiccup . this was 2 weeks ago ,so this Saturdayi took it to the lake pulled the cord and it fired off after 2 pulls ,it idles fine but when Iengage the forward drive and give it throttle it starts to spit and sputter ,it will run for a sec and then it will bog ,going up and down ,up and downin rpms . So my question is this am I correct to look at my tank as a first place to start or do I need to look elsewhere first? Mythinking is the tank must have an air leak or it could be the primer bulb(purchased at wal-mart) malfunctioning the only other thing I can come up with is maybe the fuel pump.Anyhelp would be appreciated

Rick.

Captain
Re: 1966 9.5 evinrude running rough i need some advice please

I was having a similar experience with mine and I cleaned and re-gaped the points and away it went. One set was right on the other just a few thou. out and it made a world of difference. Your right to look for obvious air infiltration problems but if the hose is new it would not be my first place to look. Best of luck. Rick.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Try it (on the boat) with the hood removed. If it runs correctly with the hood off, you have an exhaust leak. The motor is breathing its own exhaust. Extremely common on the 9.5hp motors, and difficult to fix in many cases--depending on where it is leaking. Probably why somebody gave it to you.

michael s.

Cadet

well Rick i think you may have the answer cuz i took it back to my retired mechanic buddy today and we put it in his test tank fired it up and same results with his tank.So we pulled the cowl and he had a set of wires that we put between the plugs and wire ends , we fired it up and the light on the lower cyl. would intermitenly flash unlike the upper cyl .showing fire all the time. He says it must be the new points we installed not being clean . So i left it with him to take a look at this week .i do appreciate the help and hopefully will have some good news later this week.