annoyed with local motor prices

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
Re: annoyed with local motor prices

It's the season, and to be honest I love the season. When you get to the point of selling one you'll love this season to. Now is not the time to buy anything for watercraft. I had an old klamath with a 9.5 johnny on it that a guy offered me 1k for the other day. I bought it 5 years ago in the winter for $250. Needless to say everything has a price and he found that one.

reelfishin

Captain

Back before Christmas I bought a 12' jon boat with an old Shakespeare trolling motor and a 15hp electric start Chrysler motor on a mint clean but older galvanized trailer for $190 at auction, I kept the motor and trailer, and sold the boat with the trolling motor for a grand last week. I wasn't even trying to sell it, I was planning on finding a smaller gas motor for it and an older trailer to sell it as a complete package for around $1200 or so, but I had a guy come knocking on my door asking about it. I told him what I intended to do but he asked if I'd take $1000 the way it sat. He bought a boat that day.
It was worth very little to me since it was too small and too light, but to him it was perfect. The trailer that came with it is under another boat of mine I intend to keep, and I use the motor from time to time on my 15' boat.

It seems that this time of year, just about any running outboard will bring $750+ regardless of age, with newer models bringing more. Try finding a good turn key tilt and trim V4 right now for less than $1000. With the cost of new motors being so high, it keeps the used value of the old ones pretty high. If you could run out and buy a new motor for $1500, the used motors wouldn't hold such a high price.
Also, even a worn out or blown up motor has value, I never sell those cheap either since they bring more in parts on eBay. It's often not worth selling any motor whole these days as they are worth far more in parts than as a running motor.

CATransplant

Admiral

Here in Minnesota, prices have started their downward trend. I only look at fishing boats, etc., and fishing season has begun. Normally, asking prices are very high just before the season begins. Once that happens, the same stuff is still for sale, but the prices start dropping. For other types of boats, the season hasn't started yet, and prices are still high in anticipation of the warmer weather.

It's an interesting cycle, and happens the same way every year. The very best bargains are found the the late fall and winter, but it's hard to get an on-the-water test when the lakes are frozen. :eek:

Philip_G

Chief Petty Officer

the problem around here in the winter I've found there just isn't any supply, no one is selling so the prices stay inflated.