How much slip is ok

90sunbird

Seaman
i have a 98 chap. with a 5.0 i was wondering what prop (pitch and dia.) it came with. i bought the boat used it had a 17x 14. on it when i test drove it i knew that was not the orignal prop it ran at 5500! without trim up the reccomend wot was 4600 to 4800 i am pretty shure the marina switched the prop it probally had a nice ss on it that thay resold. first thing i did is bought a new alum. 21x 14.25 the boat ran well but it still ran 5000 at full trim and it went 48.5 mph still was to high for me i like to run at the low side of wot so i won a ss prop off of ebay for 35 bucks it was a 23p 14.5 stainless so i tried it it had a good midrange cruise speed 3500 at 40 mph very nice at full speed it was 49.5 at 4500 at full trim but it had like .16 slip it seemed a bit high what is a good slip %, i think a 22p x 14.0 will be good but i havent seen many 22p stainless. i think the numbers on the stainless seem a bit off what do you think just looking for opinions, my second question is were does prop diameter come in to the equation when i am factoring in my slip speed wot ect.. i like to do the math before i spend the $$$$