Trailer Question: Boat suuure seems close to the rear of the tongue

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys,

If you look here:
Boattrailer.JPG

...you notice I've got about 1/2 inch (maybe 3/8) between my hull and my trailer.

Here's a closeup:
IMG_6771.JPG

Here it is as it sits on the trailer:
IMG_6757.JPG

I'm a little worried that something could happen that would make me gouge a hole in the hull.

Wanted to post it here and see if anyone had any thoughts on that, or if I'm just crazy.

Thanks!

damon

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trailer Question: Boat suuure seems close to the rear of the tongue

I'd be worried too. Certain ramps you could easily hit that. I see five options:

1) Not sure if there is an option for this, but it kind of looks like you could slide that center tube one bolt hole forward. I've never messed with one of those trailers though.

2) You could move the winch stand back, but then the stern would be hanging off the bunks which is not good. You could move the bunks back too, but both plans risk the tongue weight being too light after.

3) Probably the simplest and cheapest would be to pad the end of that tube.

4) You could cut that tube off some.

5) Buy a new trailer . . . Obviously not the best, and I think you'll hate to hear this, but I think that trailer is one size too small. Very common issue with dealers and/or manufacturers trying to make their 18 footers lower cost. I've been there and had to deal with some of the above although my trailer was not as adjustable as yours seems.

My .02 . . .

Bifflefan

Commander

A couple ways to fix this:

1: Weigh the boat and trailer total, then get the tounge weight. This should be about 7% no more than 10% no less than 5%. If you can (weight wise) then next time the boat is off the trailer, loosen the winch mount and slid it back an inch or two.

2: If you cant move it measure about 1/2 way from the end of the tonge bar to the U-bolt and cut it off at an angle. Then cover it with a peice of heavy rubber or something just to be on the safe side.

popo4fun

Seaman

By looking at the pic should be easy to just cut the tube back 2 or 3 inches...then cover it with some plastic and then have fun.

CATransplant

Admiral

Sawzall. 45-degree cut on the end of that tube. Done.

jusfloatin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with just trimming it back and if you check with a RV place you can get a plastic cover for that tube.
Nobody would know you did anything.

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

Sawzall. 45-degree cut on the end of that tube. Done.

By looking at the pic should be easy to just cut the tube back 2 or 3 inches...then cover it with some plastic and then have fun.

I agree with just trimming it back and if you check with a RV place you can get a plastic cover for that tube.
Nobody would know you did anything.

agreed...

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You can cut the tube as many have suggested, but realize you are then exposing bare steel to the elements. It's likely to rust quickly, especially if you launch in salt water.

I suggest you move your bunks, winch stand and axle back 1 or 2 inches. Alternatively, you can consider bringing your bunks closer (toward the centerline of the trailer) by an inch; that will raise the boat and provide more clearance at the bow. If you move the bunks be sure they support the boat on a flat part of the hull and are not in contact with a chine.

You may also be able to simply raise the bunks higher to clear the bow.

Last edited:

jusfloatin

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can cut the tube as many have suggested, but realize you are then exposing bare steel to the elements. It's likely to rust quickly, especially if you launch in salt water.

I suggest you move your bunks, winch stand and axle back 1 or 2 inches. Alternatively, you can consider bringing your bunks closer (toward the centerline of the trailer) by an inch; that will raise the boat and provide more clearance at the bow. If you move the bunks be sure they support the boat on a flat part of the hull and are not in contact with a chine.

You may also be able to simply raise the bunks higher to clear the bow.

I would respectfuly disagree, the trailer is galvinized so the only place it will rust is at the cut.
If the trailer does not have a weight issue why go looking for one.

A hacksaw and 5 minutes the problem is cured, hit the RV shop for a $5 plastic cover.

reelfishin

Captain

I have to agree with not cutting or damaging the galvanized coating, anywhere. It will only give it a place to begin rusting. Yes, a quick cut and plastic cap is the fast fix but you may also be able to just add a clamp on keel roller to that tongue tube that will act as a stop. It may take a long look at the trailer catalog to figure out what will work but I would not cut and cap it if you run in saltwater. Capping the tubing which will then have a bare steel edge, will prevent flushing or draining of that tube of saltwater which will no doubt speed the corrosion process.
A U bolt and a keel roller it probably the best answer. They come in various sizes and diameters. I've also cut down the 2" guide on rollers for this type of application.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Or just raise the front of the bunks to give the boat a little more bow height. The front-most keel roller should also be raised at the same time. No cutting required.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Nah. Whack it. Where it might rust just doesn't matter in your lifetime, that excess tube is doing nothing but if you want to split the difference, move the winch bracket back a couple of inches. A good squirt of galvanized paint will make you feel better. I like the way it sits on the trailer, looks good from what I see.