Sterndrive Removal

Weekendmechanic

Recruit
I need to remove my Mercruiser sterndrive to replace the lower shift cable. Problem - the lower shift cable is seized so I can't put the boat into gear...but to remove the sterndrive I need to shift it into forward gear. How do I do that if the cable is seized? Can I still remove the drive without putting it into gear? Any help would be appreciated.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sterndrive Removal

cut the cable just behind the small boot and move the shoes with a screwdriver untill there straight.

Raystownboater

Chief Petty Officer

I've mistakenly removed the drive without putting it in gear and the re-installation will be the harder part. Like BT said, you will have to use a screwdriver to move the shoe into place. However, in my opinion, I would not cut the cable until the drive is off. That way you can be sure its the cable that's seized and nothing in the drive.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

If the motor was overheated theres a good chance the cable is fused together where it passes close to the exaust tube.Only other option is to remove the lower unit first , then the gear selector wont matter in removing the upper.

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

if you lift sterndrive up and look from the ground upwards you will see a finger looking part going into a pressed steel u shape item.to remove if it were in forward gear it would be facing down the centre line of the boat.you maybe able to tweak it underneath with some one rotating the prop by hand.

Raystownboater

Chief Petty Officer

Did you get a chance to pull the drive and check everything out?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I've mistakenly removed the drive without putting it in gear and the re-installation will be the harder part.

I suppose this is hijacking the post... but since it is related.... Yorkboater, how did you get the drive off without it being in forward gear? Is this an Alpha you are working on? The only hard part in re-installation will be to make sure nothing is bent - like your intermediate shift shaft.

Raystownboater

Chief Petty Officer

This is an alpha and the hard part was getting the shoe to line up with the slot and making sure nothing was bent. I lucked out and nothing was bent but I make sure its in forward gear anytime I think about removing the lower unit.