Location of senders on '88 460 OMC engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBabyLou

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, thanks for reading this post.<br /><br />My temp gauge has never worked (bought the boat year ago) and I recently found out that it was not connected to any sender.<br /><br />I tried locating the right one on the engine and got confused.<br /><br />There is a sender unit right below the thermostat housing on the engine block (starboard side). Is that the temp sender? There is another sender on the port side of the engine, front, screwed into the intake manifold. Is this maybe the right one?<br /><br />Then there is the oil sender gauge on the back of the engine which has two connectors on it: one of them is on top of the "bell-looking" part (that's the right oil pressure connector) and the other one goes off to the side. What is that other connector for? It has never been connected. Is it perhaps an oil pressure switch?<br /><br />I am more concerned about the two senders on the front of the engine.<br /><br />Thanks ahead for any answers!<br />Lou

a.d.mobile

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Location of senders on '88 460 OMC engine?

Is the wire collors lite brown with blue tracer? and the other should have a dark brown tracer. ground out the blue tracer and see if gauge pegs if so that is the gauge problem. hook it up and the gauge should work, also the gauge wire should be held on with a nut, heat sensor is a squeze and push on type. the others are for a protection system that did not work quite right. can the ing-coil bee seen as a old style round or is it in a black box mounted on exaust manifold? or a square coil pack with the plug wires hooked to it?I think the protection system came out in 1989 it is not uncommon to have a hull marked differnt that what the engine is. good luck bob.

BigBabyLou

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Bob, thanks for your reply.<br />The color of wire for the temp gauge is tan (no tracer). There are no other wires left.<br /><br />I apologize, I forgot to mention that I checked the gauge itself and it works fine, it is just not connected on the engine side. Oil pressure gauge indication works fine, I just mentioned it because of the unknown connector going off to the side (of the oil pressure sender unit).<br /><br />You are right, the sender attached to the block under the thermostat housing (starboard side) has a nut on it while the other sensor (close to the ignition coil - classical cylinder) has a flat quick-disconnect male connector. You said it was a heat sensor. What is that for? Do I need to hook it up?<br /><br />Thanks again for replying.<br />Lou

a.d.mobile

Petty Officer 1st Class

if you hook it up drive the boat if warning horn sounds or boat cuts out it is the protection system I talked about. it never realy worked properly from the start if all gauges are working I would leave it alone. have fun!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.