Mariner 40 H.P. Lower Unit

banchigu

Seaman Apprentice
Hello folks, it has been a while since I asked any questions, but it has been a while since my trusty Mariner has had any problems.

I have a 1984 Mercury Mariner (recently found out it was made by Tohatsu) that began to slip out of gear under load. It did it a few times then quit for about two trips, however, yesterday it did it again and I was not able to regain full throttle and I was able to limp it to the ramp as long as I kept the speed at 7 mph. At the ramp it quit going into gear (forward or reverse) so I used the trolling motor to get it on the trailer.

Now I am thinking it is the dog gear, however, I am posting this to get any additional suggestions before I drop the lower unit.

Best regards to all and a million thanks in advance.
-a

banchigu

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Mariner 40 H.P. Lower Unit

Thank You Fazt, you are correct it is an import Yamaha motor, however, the guy at the local shop told me a while back Tohatsu had made some motors for Yamaha, could this be true? Either way your information is well received and I am very grateful for your input. If it is the drive shaft, I guess it is finally time to get a new engine since they can no longer be bought, well maybe I can find a used one.

I really appreciate the schematic chart and your help I will tear into it tomorrow and keep you posted.

Again thank you and iboats...