Mercarb Replacment

pennyduke

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1993 mercruiser MCM 5.0L serial 0f002209.
My drive is a Gen 2 serial number od899770.

I purchased a Reman Mercarb 2-BBL and want to replace it with a different brand. I cant get it to Idle or run right at high speed and the linkage is real sloppy. I would feel alot better with a brand new carb. Does anyone have any suggestions on a new 2-bbl Carb. Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercarb Replacment

I would feel alot better with a brand new carb. Does anyone have any suggestions on a new 2-bbl Carb.

Ayuh,... A NEW Mercarb 2-BBL......

Did you change the Fuel Filters,..?? Did you set the idle settings,..??

pennyduke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes I changed the following:

new plugs and wires
new cap and rotor
oil change and filter
new fuel/water filter
full tank fresh gas and stabilz marine
new fuel tank vent (the old one was crusty)
set timing to 8 deg btdc
set idle to 700 rpm
adjusted choke

It starts fine but will just stall after running for a few minutes. The linkage is very loose and sloppy. I can hold it at 1000 rpm and it sounds fine.

Where can I get a new Mercarb if they are still available. Thanks

Bondo

Staff member

It starts fine but will just stall after running for a few minutes.

Ayuh,... And it Still sounds like it's running outa fuel....
Where can I get a new Mercarb if they are still available.
From Mercruiser....

pennyduke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What else could it be? I'm tired of sitting in the slip screwing with this boat.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Check the fuel pressure at the carb,... Could be the fuel pump I suppose..

pennyduke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I went to the boat Sunday:mad: to do some more checking and my sea water pump impeller went bad and it started to overheat. I have to fix that before any more testing. I will report back soon. Thanks

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Where did you buy the reman carb at?

The ones i get from Flying Fish are flow tested and run fine.
I did get one bad Holley from them but it was no questions asked and they sent another one.

pennyduke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Gary, I bought the reman carb off ebay. It was sealed in plastic and the screws were painted blue. It looked like the real deal. Has anyone tried the Holly 2-bbl?

Nutcase, This is a do it yourself site. My first boat almost put me in bankruptsy. I'm not going to let this one do that too. I've been an auto mechanic for over 20 years and I can do just about anything with a little help. Thanks

pennyduke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think I may have discovered the problem with my carb. I took the new reman mercarb apart and found a small piece of junk in one of the smaller Venturies. Does anyone think this could be causing the problems I'm having? It was blocking the hole completly. If that was the problem can I clean it and put it back together or do I need new gaskets? I will try to post a picture soon. Thanks

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

That's probably the problem.

Gaskets are one time use, but then again there is a group here that advocates welding cracked manifolds, so do as you wish.
A mechanic would know that.....

pennyduke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the help. I'll do a rebuild kit and see what happens.:)

pennyduke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just wanted to follow up on the progress. I rebuilt the Carb and found a few things wrong. One of the venturies was clogged with a small piece of junk. The bracket that holds the accelerator pump was on backwards preventing it from going all the way down. The float arm was bent and out of adjustment. After the rebuild and new float it runs almost perfect. I think I still need to do the idle mixture adjustment before doing the test drive. Thanks everyone for all the help. Now it's time to BOAT.:)