mid 80's suzuki DT40 tell tail hole?

merc350

Cadet
anyone know where the tell tail hole is on a mid 80"s Suzuki DT40 outboard? i have been out in it for hours, never over heated, but i have no tell tail water stream. when i bought it it didnt have one so i assumed it never had one.
im starting to think im wrong, any one know? and why there would be no stream if its supposed to have one?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: mid 80's suzuki DT40 tell tail hole?

pull the cover off the motor and look for a small hose running from the back area of motor to the outside of the lower cowling

merc350

Cadet

nope nothing like that . did spot a small hole under the power head, but its not open..

waffles1

Petty Officer 1st Class

as you are standing behind the motor you should see a hole just below the cowling on the right back side. that is were the stream should be coming out.

merc350

Cadet

it turned out that there is a tell tail hole on this motor, but it was totally blocked.
it took me three days of poking and prodding to finally release the hole, and water flows!
the blockage was incredibly hard and long. how would that happen and can i do anything to prevent it happening again?

deejaycee_2000

Captain

bugs crawl in there and make their nests, this is a normal thing, I always keep a thin piece of wire on my boat, and check that it "pee's" properly when I haven't used the boat in a while ....