water wont flow through motor with muffs on

mtm6000

Recruit
I have a volvo penta 5.0gi with an sx outdrive. Ok with the muffs on i get no water. i replaced the impellor and still no water. I ran water backwards through the suction of the impellor and got water to the outdrive. I pulled the cover off (the one on the outdrive with the sx printed on it) and opened up the plate with 4 bolts. I raised the drive all the way up and pull a garden hose in the opening and that is the only way i can get water through the motor. The suction hose in the back of the outdrive look to be in good shape, no leaks. What is going on with my water issue?

captmello

Captain
Re: water wont flow through motor with muffs on

Welcome, I'm not familiar with the SX drives. I'm sure someone who is can help you out. Hopefully not a big deal.:)

zbnutcase

Commander

I have ran into that before, where the pump simply won't pull the water up. That pump is mounted near the waterline for a reason, I simply graft the hoes to the seawater pump inlet.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You have to have plenty of water flowing from your hose. Not just partially turned on, too much air and not enough water and the pump will never pull it up.
Since I have no clue as to the year or model of your engine, some had a flush hose on them on the engine. If the cap was loose, the pump will not pull water up, no matter how hard the water was flowing at the muffs.

mtm6000

Recruit

It is a 2000 four winns horizon 200. the motor is a 5.0 gi sx outdrive 1.51. there is no flush hose that I have been able to locate. I have tried low pressue to full pressure and still the same. I am lost with this one, it is probably simple but hmmmmm.....