1978 150 evenrude starter

Rich Barker

Recruit
Ok i have read all the post on the starter bendix not working. I have the same problem, pulled the little rubber off, sprayed wd40, let it set and it will not work.. Batter ok, connections ok. Down to pulling the top off the fly wheel.. So my question is after getting all the bolt out .what is under the cover ? I see timing stuff on top. What is going to go wrong when i pull the top off to get to the bendix. Will i mess up or what?

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1978 150 evenrude starter

They sometimes stick...disconnect battery and try to raise bendix by hand ...if it won't raise it may be stuck. If its stuck you can sometimes free the by prying up on them with a wrench.
Wayne

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

Down to pulling the top off the fly wheel.. So my question is after getting all the bolt out .what is under the cover ? I see timing stuff on top. What is going to go wrong when i pull the top off to get to the bendix. Will i mess up or what?

Are you sure its a 1978 150 You are describing parts not used on 78 models
Please provide model number
Wayne

Rich Barker

Recruit

sorry it is a 1994 150 v6 intruder sorry had to pull the title. mod.# e150gl

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

That explains it!!
On the throttle\timing control side there are little teeth and cog things(high and low speed timing adjustments) don"t touch them. and mark there locations
Remove rear cover and remove wire leading to the OIS sensor
Remove bolt and lift off timing wheel (there may or may not be washers under it if there are be sure to put them back
You may have to remove throttle arm (can't remember)
remove ring if bolts
Lift off cover...starter drive is right there besure to note location of wave washer
If you happened to move timing adjustment there is a special tool required to reset it.
Wayne

Rich Barker

Recruit

Thanks that helps me a lot. Ill try not to move anything, just want to get to the bendix.. It started every time last year but i guess sitting over the winter it is bound up and needs oil and to be freed .. Thanks for your help. Got to get it going red ear and blue gill season is up on us...