Is This Addicting?

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Just wanted to start a fun little discussion and get peoples thoughts. I bought my very first boat last summer. It was an '86 Cheetah 19ft. bowrider. Soon after I bought it I realized it was trashed. Deck, stringers, transom, and motor mounts were all beyond rotten. So, I stuck that one in a barn and bought one in better condition. Guess what, the deck, stringers, transom, and motormounts were rotten, although much less rotten. They were just solid enough to fool me into thinking they were in good shape. So I decided to jus bite the bullet and repair the damage myself without any knowledge what so ever about boats much less restoration. Anyway, I'm getting close to completing the remodel of the second boat I mentioned, thanks to the help of all the great iboaters. I've cussed, shouted, whined, moaned, complained, bled, itched, spent way to much money, etc. throughout the whole project. The thing is....I love it! I'm not even done with my first project and I'm already thinking about how I'm going to rebuild that first crapper I bought and I find myself looking on craigslist for good projects. Is this just gonna get worse? Is this addicting? Are you addicted? Share your thoughts and/or stories. Have a nice day.:)

drewpster

Commander
Re: Is This Addicting?

For me it is a way of life. I have three major milestones in my life....Meeting and marrying my wife, the day my baby girl was born, and the day we signed on or home because of the awesome shop in the back yard!
I have made my living and enjoyed my hobbies with my hands all my life. There is simply no greater personal achievement than looking at a completed project. It makes all the blood sweat and tears well worth the effort. It started when my Dad built the steps in front of his arm saw so I could use it when I was a kid, and its been going ever since. I simply know no other way to be. I am always happy when I see someone finding the same joy. Congratulations!

Tbay-Jay

Cadet

Funny you mention it I am about halfway done my project as well and I keep looking online and the local newspaper for different deals.

I'm thinking you may be onto something.

Addicted!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I have always built things....I have a couple of 1950 Mercury cars in my barn, I wanted to redo one of them but decide that was beyond my means at the moment. I saw and infinity at the lake that I really liked, started looking around and found my project. Most of my friends thought I was nuts when they saw it, but its all about one step at a time. I'm almost done, and love every minute of it (Ok maybe not the cold showers trying to get the fiberglass off of me so I don't itch as much!) There is no feeling like taking something everyone has written off and turning it into a diamond! More than blood, sweat, and tears....it takes dedication, vision, and patience! When I run out of patience, its time to call it quits for the day! Right now I'm pondering finding a 26 sleek like vegas has....and rebuilding it with bow seating, kind of a mid cabin concept. First I need a bigger shop! Its only 30 ' long....not much room left over for a boat that size! One of the guys at the lake next to me has a Cheetah, sweet little boat! I hope you stay addicted and get her fixed up!

jspano

The thing is....I love it! I'm not even done with my first project and I'm already thinking about how I'm going to rebuild that first crapper I bought and I find myself looking on craigslist for good projects. Is this just gonna get worse? Is this addicting? Are you addicted? Share your thoughts and/or stories.

yes it is my professional opinion that this is clear signs of an addiction!
my advise would be to give me all your project boats and material asap!
(this way they will all be MINE, oh no did i type that out loud)

69rrvert

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just started my project and I hope that I stay interested in seeing it get completed. I have always enjoyed working on old cars and seeing projects when they are complete. Tearing it apart does not seem to tuff because it has a minimal cost, but when it comes time to start throwing money at it to get it back together things will probably slow down a bit. Stay with it everyone. Thanks, Steven

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

I barely have my boat started and I look on craigslist daily. I also look around the house at what I can sell to by materials for the boat. Sucks to be poor with rich hobbies:(

BigBoatinOkie

Haha, maybe I should have entitled this thread Boat Restorers Anonymous.

Hi my name is Bigboatinokie and I have a problem...I can't keep my hands off of old boats...I just have to restore them. I see a boat that someone is to lazy or ill equipped to fix and I....I....I just have to buy it and fix it myself :(

Let's all give Bigboatinokie a big hug and let him know we're here for him.

:D:D:D

MrsBoatinOkie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I hope each of you has a wonderful and understanding significant other, who although may roll their eyes or just shake their head in confusion every so often, do understand and enable your addiction.. LIKE ME!! :D

Can't help but do double takes when I see a boat for sale alongside the highway.

jspano

big boat !!!!

the jigs up your wifes on iboats!!!!!!!!!!!!

jcupo6

Chief Petty Officer

I am absolutely addicted and proud of it!

lrcustom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Addiction? what addiction? Addictions control the very fabric of our being and I can say with great confidence that I spend only about 97% of my time and money on these projects. That sound more like dedication to the cause not addiction.

LR Custom

redfury

Commander

I thought everyone on Iboats suffered from MBS ( multiple boat syndrome )...it's well documented that MBS does indeed exist and is transmitted easily from person to person. Some have been found to have a higher resistance to MBS ( their wives ), but some out there are just plain terminal ( single, or about to be ) :D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'm almost finished with my project and I gotta say...I'm NOT addicted. I just want to boat. Next season I want to pull it out of storage on the first nice weekend and have it ready to use. I'm pretty well tired of the project and the associated costs.

Now that having been said, if I had the space for a 2nd boat that I could leisurely restore as time and finances allowed, I may enjoy it more. I had to sell my last (completed) project to partially fund this one so I have not had the luxury of a usable boat while I finish the current one.

jspano

I'm almost finished with my project and I gotta say...I'm NOT addicted. I just want to boat. Next season I want to pull it out of storage on the first nice weekend and have it ready to use. I'm pretty well tired of the project and the associated costs.

Now that having been said, if I had the space for a 2nd boat that I could leisurely restore as time and finances allowed, I may enjoy it more. I had to sell my last (completed) project to partially fund this one so I have not had the luxury of a usable boat while I finish the current one.

denial the first sign of addiction :rolleyes:

BigBoatinOkie

I had to sell my last (completed) project to partially fund this one so I have not had the luxury of a usable boat while I finish the current one.

That says it all right there my friend. Had to sell one to fund another? Do you have something need to get off your chest? Just admit it. You'll feel better I promise. ;)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nope. "couldn't afford an already nice boat" does not equal "really loves to do this" :p

BobsGlasstream

Commander

I don't think I'm addicted. I have only helped find and purchase 3 boats this year, and they weren't for me. Even if I do work on them after work at night.
I Have kept inside my budget, on my own project. My budget, not the one I told my wife.
Just because, when I drive down the road I am always looking in peoples back yards for that abandoned look on boats. That doesn't mean I'm addicted.
I also would appreciate it if some of you would not visit CL to often, I'm still looking for a new bigger engine for my current project and don't want to lose one to anyone else.
See I'm not addicted.
Bob