Sputtering then dies before takeoff

HiggyBank

Recruit
I've got a '89 Peterborough OMC 4.3L V6, engine idles great when cold and warm and engine revs good when in nuetral, but as soon as it is put in forward or reverse, it sputters a little, and then dies. Can anyone help me please.

cr2k

Captain
Re: Sputtering then dies before takeoff

Pull the spark arrestor and have someone pump the throttle and see if there is good squirts of gas going in to the carb throat. If not you probably have an accelerator pump issue. Common on Rochester and Mercarb carbs.

If that is not the problem, check the timing.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I've got a '89 Peterborough OMC 4.3L V6, engine idles great when cold and warm and engine revs good when in nuetral, but as soon as it is put in forward or reverse, it sputters a little, and then dies. Can anyone help me please.

Possibly your ESA is engaging and staying engaged. This would be caused by a bad lower shift cable. Next time, disconnect the ESA and try to shift and see if it does the same thing.

HiggyBank

Recruit

Thanks for the tips, I will try it first thing when day breaks.
I will be back with results if neither of those work.

73Trihull

Seaman Apprentice

I'd check the simple things first. On my old Merc 470 I had the same problems and it was just a dirty fuel filter. Replace the filter and see what happens.

Firemedic724

Seaman Apprentice

I had the same thing happen in my 88' Renken. I found out the pickup tube in the fuel tank had an air leak at the fitting. Every time I throttled up, it would die. I pulled the fitting where the pickup tube was connected and there it was, the tube had a crack in it. I replaced it and it ran better than ever. I would also check the fuel. Take a sample of fuel from your fuel filters and pour the fuel into a glass clear jar. Wait a few minutes and check to see if the fuel separates. If it does, you have water in your fuel. This is a common problem with most if not all boats coming out of winter storage. If you find water in the fuel, start to drain your tanks and take samples of fuel while draining and perform the check with the glass jar until you have no more water. Replace your fuel filter/water separator and you should be good to go. Remember to fuel up with fresh gas and dump some Startron fuel stabilizer in your tank.
Good Luck..
Kepp us updated....

HiggyBank

Recruit

I am still stuck with the same issue, everything is good with the fuel filter and water separator, pickup tube has no leaks, fuel is flowing fine into the carb tube, lower shift gear/cable is in good working order. Still having issue just when shifting it into gear. It is saying to me that it wants to go but don't push me. (maybe row but not push)
Any other suggestions or is it time for me to give up and call a marine mechanic. Am hoping I can do it myself to learn for the future.