Crankcase seal NLA?

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer
Hey all,

I am rebuilding a 1976 Johnson 75hp Model #:75ELR77S

When I looked up the part for the rubber seal that sits in the groove between the two crank case halves, this is what it says:

36 0 SEAL,Cylinder to crankcase. CUT FROM 50ft. ROLL,PART NUMBER 309044 2 Not Available

Any suggestions on what I should do to seal the two halves back together???

I was thinking I could either:

A: used the old seal, and some Permatex "Right stuff" gasket maker to have a good fit
or
B: just use Right stuff to create a gasket between the two halves...

I'm an ASE master tech, and that gasket maker is the best I have ever used... (Besides 2B which I use in other areas)...

Any thoughts? or another source besides BRP on where to get the seal, or is using a gasket maker going to be ok? (I really dont want to blow up another motor).

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Crankcase seal NLA?

I'll look tomorrow at the shop and let you know the number of the other spegetti seal. Use Gel Seal rather than a gasket sealer as mentioned in the old manuals. Stay tuned.....

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Try Sea-way Marine, in Seattle. No reason why they wouldn't have something for a motor this new.:D

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, there's several sources for stuff, when the local marine supply shakes their heads "no" The problem is, they aren't willing to help or apply any effort, then they wonder why business sucks. Here is another list of sources that may likely be of help too.

sea-way.com
outboard-parts.com
laingsoutboards.com
tcoutboard.com
fairwindsmarina.com
salvagemarine.com
marinepartsoutlet.com
outboardexchange.com
Superior Marine (800-338-9281)
budgetboats.net
americanoutboard.com
piratemarinesalvage.com