Has anyone seen one of these boats?

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Several years ago, I saw a boat sitting behind someones business that looked really odd. I believe that it was called a "Land and Sea cruiser" It looked to be about 22 feet, all metal. But what made this boat stand out is that it had retractable wheels underneath and a 2 inch receiver tube on the front keel to attach a hitch. I think the concept was that you pull the boat up to the ramp, lower the wheels, attach the hitch, and drive off? I have never seen another boat like this nor have I found any pictures. Anyone else seen one of these?

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Has anyone seen one of these boats?

Kind of an odd-ball design, but it might be O.K. for fresh water, doubt having wheels,axles,hubs,etc. contantly immersed in salt water would work. If you had an application where you needed to take boat in and out of the water constantly then it looks alright.

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Although the float-trailer is a neat concept, it is not quite what I saw. The boat I saw was v-hull and much larger. Plus, it towed facing forward.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Several years ago, I saw a boat sitting behind someones business that looked really odd. I believe that it was called a "Land and Sea cruiser" It looked to be about 22 feet, all metal. But what made this boat stand out is that it had retractable wheels underneath and a 2 inch receiver tube on the front keel to attach a hitch. I think the concept was that you pull the boat up to the ramp, lower the wheels, attach the hitch, and drive off? I have never seen another boat like this nor have I found any pictures. Anyone else seen one of these?

Believe it or not, I know (or should say, sorta remember) what you're talking about. It was supposed to be an all-purpose recreational thingie. Travel trailer on land, houseboat on the water, flip between the 2 at will. I have no clue how well it worked in either mode, but a neat idea from a time before that kind of creativity was regulated and liabilitized (hey, new word!) out of existence.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I think what JoLin describes is the Boaterhome. And I just happen to have a pic:

1198gsj.jpg

I don't think that's the OP's deal though as he said retractable wheels . . .

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

one of these?

3.jpg

4.jpg

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I think what JoLin describes is the Boaterhome. And I just happen to have a pic:

1198gsj.jpg

I don't think that's the OP's deal though as he said retractable wheels . . .

That's pretty cool, but it wasn't that. Think of a small, squareish travel trailer mounted on a shallow 'v' hull/undercarriage with a little decking fore and aft. It's so long ago I don't remember any of the details, but they were made. At least one of 'em, anyway :)

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nope... sorry, so far none of these look like what I saw. The one that I remember only had 2 wheels that were situated about 2/3 of the way back. It looked like it was made of steel, not aluminum. It had cut-outs in the hull for the wheels to retract into, and the receiver tube was near the bottom of the bow where the keel starts to angle up in front.

Not a big deal... I was just curious if anyone ever saw one or had any info on them.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think what you saw was a boat called the SeaCamper. It could be bought with either I/O or outboard power and was quite popular in S. FL in the 70s and 80s.

I think it was available as a 22' or a 24', but that could have been based on power.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, I googled SeaCamper and found boats that look as I remember them but couldn't find one with the wheels and hitch, and I couldn't find one with outboard power.

I distinctly remember looking at an outboard powered boat with wheels and tongue for towing. The wheels and tongue seemed to me like a stupid idea, so maybe it didn't last very long. That was about 1980 in Ft. Lauderdale.

Drowned Rat

Captain

And if you get tired of fishing, you can launch an amphibious assault on the beach of your choice.