New prop to Mercuruy 650 -69

Stoft

Cadet
I am new so please forgive me for such a simple question but my prop is not the greatest on my 1969 Mercury 65hp.
I want a prop that will lift my bow. Right now the boat goes on the bow.
My boat is 16.5 feet and with this prop and motor it only goes like 19 knot. It should at least go 30-35knots.

So I need stainless prop, the one I want is Laser 2. 13x19-20"
Does this beauty fit on my old engine?
If you know a better prop that is stainless, will put my bow up and fit my engine so tell me. :)

Cheers from Sweden! :cool:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: New prop to Mercuruy 650 -69

Hello and welcome.
If your motor can't raise the bow by trimming it isn't likely a prop will solve it.
You may have a setup problem or worse a deformed hull.
You may have a hook in the bottom.A concave spot just ahead of the transom.
Put a straight edge along the bottom see if you detect any "hook"Is the boat fiberglass?

Stoft

Cadet

My aluminum prop does not get a grip in the water that is why I should change.
I also think that it is to small pitch on it.
My motor is mounted with the anti cavitation 1-1?" higher than the keel.

I will try with a new/used stainless prop and if it not works i will sell it.
But the question is if it fits?

28552581.jpg

hwsiii

Commander

Stoft, welcome to Iboats prop forum and I will try to help you as much as I can but without more information no one can help you, and I will tell you I need more information than anyone else. But if you would like my help fill this form out and I will help you as much as I can.

And is this a 2 cylinder or 4 cylinder 65 HP motor.

You might try reading this for a better understanding of motor height, changing props for better performance, and for the major differences between aluminum props and stainless steel.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=369057

If you would prefer to not go to this much trouble there are many other people who will come along and gladly help you.

1. Year, make and model of boat
2. Length, width and base weight of boat, look for boat decal on back of boat
2a.What is the maximum recommended HP for your boat
3. Number of people and gallons of gas normally on boat and what do you use the boat for
4. Year, make. manufacturer and model of motor and recommended Wide Open Throttle (WOT) range
5. HP and gear ratio of motor IMPORTANT
If you don?t know the ratio, you need to pull the plugs out and put a piece of tape across the prop and the lower unit and then cut it between the prop and the housing then do the same thing on the flywheel and turn the motor until the tape lines up with each other on the prop, it is easier if two people do this, so one can watch the prop while the other counts the revolutions of the motor
6. Anti-ventilation Plate height above keel of boat if it is an outboard in inches, use a straight edge under the keel and sticking out to the anti ventilation plate for a reference
Motor Transom Height
AntiventilationPlateStraightEdge-2.jpg

When the boat is running in the top 20% of your speed you should be able to see the anti ventilation plate very clearly at the top of the water and have water just splashing over the top of it.

Correct Anti Ventilation Height

correctheight.jpg

7. WOT RPM and speed from your current prop and how much gas and how many people were in the boat for the test data and is the speed by GPS. Make sure you trim the prop up until it starts ventilating and then just trim in until it quits ventilating.
RPM _________ Speed ______ GPS ______ No. of people ______ Gal. Gas ________
8. Make, model, diameter, pitch, number of blades and whether SS or aluminum prop and does it have a hydrafoil, dolefin or trim tabs
9. Has your motor been tuned up lately and have you checked that the carburetor butterfly is opening all the way by just pushing the throttle at the helm and not at the carburetor, checked compression, and looked at the plugs and checked spark as well as timing and advance, all of the foregoing could be the reason your prop is not attaining full RPM
10. What problems are you trying to cure or what are you looking for the boat to do that it is not doing the way you think it should or to your expectations and does the prop show any damage that you can see

REMEMBER, The numbers I give you will be NO better than the information you give me. I use a computer program I designed to find the correct pitch and then knowledge to pick a Better prop design for your boat.

The only thing I ask of you is to come back and give me a report of WOT RPM and speed for my database.

H

Stoft

Cadet

Hi Hwsii! I will do my best to answear your questions.
It is a 4cyl 65hk Mercury.

1. Smiler 500, late 80s or early 90s.

2. 5m(500cm). Light weight, doesn?t know how leight.

2a. 150hp I think.

3. We are usually one or two in the boat. Full tank is 25 litres. Watersport such as waterskiing and cruising.

Manufacturer: Mercury
Model: "Merc 650"
Year: 1969
Cylinders: 4
Type: 2 stroke
Min WOT RPM: 4000
Max WOT RPM: 4600

5. Gear Ratio: 2.00:1
Horsepower: 65.0

6. 1?-2 inches

7. Don?t really know. It feels like the engine not are using the whole register. When I have the throttle open 3/4 and makes it WO the bow falls and it goes slower and the engine doesn?t run up so much rpm. With more pitch I think it would use the whole register.
It only goes in 19knots, doesn?t matter how many we are in the boat! I have tried with 3 humans and 1 dog. Didn?t do anything on the speed, 19 knots.

8. Original prop, 13x13". 3 blades aluminium.

9. NO

10. No damages on the prop. I want the new propeller to raise the bow and raise the speed. My aluminum prop does not get grip in the water that is also a reason why I want to change.
The speed right now is only 19knots.
With this engine should the boat at least run 30-35 knots!!

Stoft

Cadet

I cant trim/tilt(?) out the engine either. If i do that the propeller just spins air.

hwsiii

Commander

Stoft, you are definitely looking at props with wayyyyyyy to much pitch. I am busy right now but tonite I will run some numbers for you.

H

Stoft

Cadet

Okay, I?m waiting :D
Better information about the boat.
485cm long.
Empty weight: 160kg.
It should be long shaft on this boat model but my transom is cutted down so my short shaft works. But as I said the anti-ventilation plate is 1?-2 inches over the keel.

A friends Smiler 500 makes 45knot with a 75hp Yamaha.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I show the rpm range for a 69 650 is 4,800 to 5,300.
I think 160kg is about 320lbs That should really go when setup right.
Unless its some sort odd shape.

Stoft

Cadet

Hi.
I think 160kg is around 350lbs but **** the same :)
Yes it should move quite well when I find the right prop! :D

hwsiii

Commander

I need to know how many RPM at maximum speed.

H

Stoft

Cadet

I don?t have a tachometer but my feeling when I drive says maximum RPM. So around 5000rpm @ 19knots :confused:

I can run 19 knots in 3 / 4 throttle (Not full rpm) and at full throttle it still goes 19 knots but the engine is att full RPM

Stoft

Cadet

I was so confused so I went to the boat and took it for a ride and competed with a friend, I was overtaken by a Suzuki 9.9hp on a 4.5m boat!! :eek: Then I took the prop off.
14x11" ???

What do you recommend me for prop? 13x??? :confused:
30966789.jpg

30966802.jpg

30966812.jpg

30966921.jpg

Stoft

Cadet

Hello?? :confused:
Is a 13x15" prop something I could use?
TurningPoint, do they have good stainless props?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The bow going down brings me back to the hull may have a hook.
If it does no prop will solve your problem.Again try the straight edge along
the keel at the transom.I think you will find a concave section near the transom.
this pulls the bow down more the faster you go.Also you should confirm the motor is in excellent tune running on all cylinders.
19 knots is so far off something else is wrong let us know what you find.
I bet that 9.9 could push your boat as fast. A 16 footer that is only 350lbs I would definately wonder about the bottom being deformed.

Stoft

Cadet

No hooks, the engine is working fine.
When I tilted out the engine the boat didn?t go on the bow, but the prop didn?t get grip. 25 knots is the fastest but without grip. When i accelerate with the engine tilted out it just spins when i turn.
Is Turningpoint good?
11" is toooooooo little!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Ok we'll assume all is well with the boat and motor. An 11 is way to small.
The Turning point Hustler is a good very agressive prop but un predictable.
The 4 blade Solas Amita seems to do very well and will solve your grip (ventilation) problem.It can be suicide for you motor to try to select a prop without a tach.Check out the tiny tach.Reasonable,easy to install,one for your motor will fit any 4 cylinder 2 stroke. With that light fast boat a 19 or 20 might be just what you need. I would guess the 11" prop probably runs over 6,000 unless there are other problems.Its intended for a pontoon.
Again changing a prop without a tach could be suicide.

Stoft

Cadet

I will by a tach next week. I will come back when I have tested with it.

Stoft

Cadet

I made 32knots with a 15" michigan prop! I think I can go even faster :)