backfire out of water inlet.

dsmguy

Cadet
OK i have a 1961 merc 500 kiekhaefer. s# 1422018. and i can get it to start with feathering the choke. then if i get it to stay running it will backfire out of the water inlet and shoot water out of the barrel then kill the motor. any one have ideas?:

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: backfire out of water inlet.

Sounds like it's to lean from trash in the fuel system

dsmguy

Cadet

awesome. thanks the fuel lines were clean and the carbs are clean. so i turned the air fuel mix another 1/4 turn and now it will start up nice and will run with out the choke. but its not spiting water so i think i need to put on a new impeller. if you run the motor with out the water going threw it other then the block over heating. will it mess up the water pump other then the impeller?

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sure can,You got the impeller housing,water tube seals,power head gaskets,I can keep on going!!! NEVER RUN IT WITHOUT H2O.

dsmguy

Cadet

are there any tools like muffs that you can use on these motors to flush and keep the water flowing right now i have it in a barrel. the inliet i think is right in front of the prop. any thanks for your help by the way.

coolguy147

Commander

i'd get a bigger barrel.

i also have a 1961 mercury 500. you can look at some of my posts to get some info.

some people say that their engines work at 1 turn out on the needles but mine will not. i believe start out at 1 1/2 turns out and adjust from there.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=168855

some nice info there. are your carbs synced and timing correct?(max advance and such)

dsmguy

Cadet

I pulled off the lower unit. Some one had tried to get the water pump cover off and messed all the holes up.:mad: So i have do use a chisel and destroy the cover. The impeller was in a million pieces. Think i found my no water issue. Now i have one major issue. I cant find a water pump cover :( . Any one have an idea where i can buy one.

dsmguy

Cadet

Can i use a 1965 merc 500 lower unit so i can have the different water pump that still has pats available?