water in lower unit omc 400

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrew

Seaman Apprentice
1985 omc 400 with 3.0 L engine. I had a broken shaft (water Pump) replaced 3 years ago. It also had all the seals replaced. Now there is water getting into the lower unit. Even though it "passed" a pressure test, I had the seals again replaced but it continues to have water in the lower unit oil. It still holds pressure and vacuum so my mechanic doesn't have a clue. I use it but have to change the oil every time out. Any ideas how water is getting in? Any help appreciated.

russthemuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: water in lower unit omc 400

maybe its got a bent shaft again? Why did the last one break? Are you replacing ALL the seals or just the waterpump? Just having a guess!

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Splines on water pump shaft very common on your upper gearcase. Lower units that hold pressure and vaccum I would suspect rotating parts. The seals on the prop shaft or a bent prop. The seals around the drive shaft also. The seal can be bad and only leak when shafts are turning. The shaft can be worn in the seal area so that even a new seal may leak. Last thing to check is the shifter seals.

adrew

Seaman Apprentice

routine wear and corrosion ate the splines on the last shaft. all the seals were replaced. thanks for the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.