Lookin to buy a boat. Tell me what to look for.

ctaggart

Recruit
First off, hello. I'm new to the forum. The reason for joining is that I'm in the process of buying a 15' flat bottom Sea Nymph that I think is a TX150.

The seller is taking me out for a ride so I can see how the motor runs next week. I don't own a boat now and I've never owned a boat before. I'm looking for advice on what to look for. I've given the boat a quick once over, and it appears to be in excellent condition and the motor is very clean. The seller says that If you're out on the water all day, you may want to run the bilge for a few seconds, but it doesn't fill up.

Here's a few pics. Tell me what you think.

IMG_1810.jpg

IMG_1815.jpg

~Nickolas~

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Lookin to buy a boat. Tell me what to look for.

Hey,
Looks like a nice clean boat and with a 20 on the back it should scoot right along. I don't think you could go wrong with this boat from the pics it looks great. I guess you could do a compression check on the engine to check it out. The numbers should be pretty near identicle or within 10% of one another. I got an 81 Evinrude 7.5 on a 14' Jon boat and it has 70 on each cylinder and it downright screams with lots of power.

The water issue isnt anything to worry about probably a leaky plug unless it hit something and has a gouge underneath it or something. Boats always get a little water in then no matter how tight the plug is ( mine do anyway ) If the price is right and it's got what you want I'd jump on it...

Nick

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Lookin to buy a boat. Tell me what to look for.

Looks real clean thats for sure.

I was going to suggest keeping an eye on the bilge for water, but I guess the seller told you about it.

Maybe look at the bottom and feel for loose rivets. The boat looks well cared for though.