Where is the water hose on the outdrive?

irideflatland

Seaman Apprentice
When I took my boat in to the shop, they said my water intake hose was leaking, and that's why I keep overheating. They said it would be 4-5 hours of work because it's really hard to get to, and at $70/hr thats around $300 just for labor.

Does anyone have a pic of where this hose is, or can you tell me how to get to it? Can't find anything in the manual about it...

1972 120HP Mercruiser

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: Where is the water hose on the outdrive?

which hose, the one inside the boat or outside?

captk

Petty Officer 1st Class

It goes from the front of the bell housing around the u joint bellows to a fitting at the top of the transom plate. it is a big job to replace.

irideflatland

Seaman Apprentice

It goes from the front of the bell housing around the u joint bellows to a fitting at the top of the transom plate. it is a big job to replace.
I think I found it now... Would I be able to replace it by just taking the outdrive off, or is there more to it than that?

captk

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can probably change it by pulling the drive and hinge pins. But this is a good time to do a real good inspection of the bellows and do them all at the same time. Good luck Bill

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

Download the manual for your drive from elsewhere on this site. The hose is difficult to get to and replace. Make sure you buy the correct preformed hose and that it matches in length exactly to the old one. Read the directions and examine the diagrams before you decide you want to do it yourself. Good luck. Hy

Grumman59

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's a pic of the water hose. But this is after removing all the bellows, the bell housing and the gearshift cable, trim senders etc. all of which were replaced afterward.

The second picture shows the engine end of the brass water tube with the clamp loosened.

This is an Alpha 1 so may be different from yours. This is a 3/4" hose but some are 5/8".

I removed the brass water tube which goes through the transom, installed the hose on that first, then put the tube back with a new grommet and new hose on the engine side.

The manual is actually not a lot of help here, in fact it shows the installation of the upper clamp on the water hose the wrong way round so you could never be able to tighten it. It's not what I'd call an easy job by any means.

Attachments

• P1020470.jpg
    P1020470.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1
  • P1020471.jpg
    P1020471.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

irideflatland

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks. I'm going to try to wrap what I can with water sealing tape for now, but I can only get to a tiny section so I doubt that will help :(

Bondo

Staff member

I'm going to try to wrap what I can with water sealing tape for now,

Ayuh,... Are you Serious,..?? :rolleyes:

I imagine the bellows are in the Same shape,....
You're gonna either ruin your motor, or Sink your barge with That Attitude....

alien4fish

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I wouldnt recommend doing that, I would pull the drive and do it right.
Otherwise you may swimming back to shore:eek: and that my freind would SUCK:D
and BABAOOEY to you all:cool: