2000 Merc 60: Low RPM trouble

FishHunt23

Seaman
I have a 2000 Mercury 60hp - three cylinders, 2-cycle, oil injected, not a big foot model. I've searched for information to dignose it myself and haven't been able to.

I'm having two problems. First, and this is the bigger problem in my mind, it coughs regularly in the low RPM range. When is coughs, it spits a fair amount of gas out of the exhaust. I would describe it as a cough more than a sneeze. It doesn't always do this when I start out. Whether the engine is cold or warm, I can sometimes start it and it will idle smoothly. However, if I go up on plane and come back down it will cough again.

The second problem is that the engine seems to be using a ton of gas.

Last time I was out a friend in another boat told me that the motor was really loud when I went up on plane. He didn't give me any other description except that it didn't sound good.

The engine has a problem with the throttle linkage. It is a tiller model, and the throttle sometimes "catches" in certain spots. I suspect that the throttle movements might not be in sync. Could that cause what I'm describing? Any other ideas? Thanks very much for any help.

John

FishHunt23

Seaman
Re: 2000 Merc 60: Low RPM trouble

I took the boat out again yesterday. The noise I described as a cough could be described as a sneeze. But it's spitting out gas, so while I understand the sneeze noise means it's too lean, I'm wondering if that makes any sense.

Also, it definitely idled well early on. The cough started only after I had been up to full speed and back down.

Any ideas at all? Please?