help drilled wrong hole for mounting my engine

basspirate

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i just redid my transom with nidabond. it came out great. however where the engine used to mount, the bolt holes had elongated. i covered them with duct tape prior to filling on the outside skins of the transom (not a good idea. turns out nidabond dissolves the adhesive on the duct tape. i was like the dutch boy with his finger in the dam for a half hour). i went to drill the holes to remount the engine and decided to go by the top of where the old holes were thinking in theory that the bolt holes should only wear towards the bottom and the top of the elongation should be the correct position. turns out either the engine was on slightly crooked to begin with or i missdrilled a hole. i did it this way because i dont have the engine mounting template. so now i have a hole to fill in my brand new transom. i was thinking about filling it with a wooden dowel or perhaps using the little bit of unused nidabond i have the fill the hole. i'm only off by about 1/4 to 1/8 of an inch so whatever goes in there will be partially redrilled again. any thoughts or ideas as to what i should do, or does one of my ideas sound better than the other?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: help drilled wrong hole for mounting my engine

If you have enough nida bond I would use that...... there are mounting templates online I will look for one.... they are standard....

Here is one the red lower holes are the standard and you can actually go anywhere from 1 7/8" to 2" for the top holes. Remember MOST motors have slots in the lower holes.

The other option is to fill the holes completely with epoxy

Attachments

• Mounting_Bolt_Pattern.jpg
    Mounting_Bolt_Pattern.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1

basspirate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

awesome thanks for the template. i measured the holes and one is 2 inches from the top, the other is 1 7/8 from the top. also my engine a 2000 johnson 130 does have the slots.

jonesg

Admiral

My buddy drilled my holes at the wrong angle, I had just done the transom with seacast, I filled the holes with poly resin, cabosil and chopped glass.
Tape the backside and shoot it in there, its thick like mud and cures in 5 minutes or less. I mixed a cupfull, put it in a baggie and snipped a corner off the bag, twisted the bag and squeezed it out like that. Worked nice.
Then just re-drilled holes.

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

Wet out hole with neat epoxy. Mix up a thickened batch to peanut butter consistency with West 404 High Density filler. Cover with wax paper or release fabric (preferred) and clamp wood blocks over openings once hole is filled. When cured the hole will be gone and minimal fairing will be needed.

basspirate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks guys. i wetted out the hole with polyester resin. then mixed some cabosil with some chopped glass then filled the holes. came out great i was able to remount the engine today. came out perfect!