should I change my own alpha one impeller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frogman2

Cadet
I'm considering replacing my own water intake impeller on my 1986 alpha one. I have a manual but am wondering if I need any special tools? <br /><br />I am also wondering if I should attempt it at all or "leave it to the experts"<br /><br />thanks.

jlj

Cadet
Re: should I change my own alpha one impeller?

Just did mine today. Pretty easy taking off the lower unit, and replacing the pump, however putting the lower unit back in place and aligning the drive gear to make the prop operate correctly is my big problem right now. I've worked 4 hours on this and I still can't get it to operate properly. If you know of any short cut method I would sure like to hear from you. I have a post (labeled HELP. . .)

frogman2

Cadet

Hey thanks for the great link for the impeller replacement Trent!....I am thinking about it but I am a little concerned when I hear guys like "jlj" from Redford, MI who got it all back together but its still not working....<br /><br />any thoughts?

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer

Hey just a word of advice... If its a saltwater boat you may have a hard time getting lower unit off. I just did mine and it was real easy ONCE I got the lower unit off.... That was the real problem... As far as putting it back together its not too bad I found putting the boat in drive and the prop on and twisting it a little made it easier..<br /><br />tallman

Trent

Captain

If you have a hard time getting the lower unit off their are a few tricks.....

frogman2

Cadet

What are the "tricks" Trent? Either you didn't finish your post or it got cut off...<br /><br />Thanks again for your link to the instructions on the impeller.

Status
Not open for further replies.