outdrive - play

popey

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi there

I have a boat with a Mercruiser 165 inline 6 engine, built in 1979.
The outdrive has a bit too much play. If I touch it, I can turn it roughly about 2 cm. (the upper part, the one coming out of the boat)
I guess this has something to do with the steering?
Is there something to consider about the outdrive? Presently the impeller is being changed, but there are a lot of tubes in it as well. I have no idea if and when things have been changed. Is there something that is wise to change apart from the oil in the outdrive? Do you have experience on that an on the approx cost as well? Or is even cheaper to get a piece, that has been rebuilt?

Thanks for your information!

happy boating,

popey

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: outdrive - play

You probably have a worn gimbal ring ($$$$), and you should also change the u-joint, shift cable and exhaust bellows ($$) while your at it.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: outdrive - play

Please note I know what I am talking about with a Alpha 1, less so with a pre Alpha like yours:rolleyes:. The problem is either with the gimbal ring or steering shaft. This will help you determine which http://www.mercstuff.com/gimbalringwear.htm If the shaft, you will have to replace it. The next thing that you need to do is go the adults only section and download Mercruiser manual #5. Once downloaded go to the transom section (Section 4) and read about your gimbal ring. It may be that your gimbal ring is fine, but is loose on the upper pivot pin (mine was). You need to determine if you have the through bolt or U bolt design. With a good torque wrench retorque the clamping screws to the torque spec listed at the front of that section (will be different depending on clamping system). See if that tightens things up. If not you may have a worn ring $$$$$ or PITA+$$. Mine was very loose, and just retorquing took all of the play out, but that was an 87 Alpha 1 so things may be different with an earlier one. Good luck!