Another confusing serial number 25Hp Mariner

nos440

Cadet
These serial numbers can drive you nuts. Scored a 25 Hp Electric Start long shaft tiller model that I was told is a 1982 by the older gent I purchased it from.

The Model and serial number on the plate reads exactly like this

Mariner 25CE
695 L 551347
S MADE IN JAPAN

I see no where this fits in from this page.

http://www.storesonline.com/site/573683/page/608045

DADDYRABBIT1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Another confusing serial number 25Hp Mariner

Sure wish I could help, but I'm having the same issue with my 30Hp elec. start long shaft.

mine reads: 30E 689 L 411190

I have had no help from either of the two local Mariner dealer/part supplies and have also looked all over the internet and have only found the same chart you have with the same confusing result. I have it narrowed down to either an '82 or a '90 but that is a pretty big gap. So if you find anyone who can help you with the answer please send them my way.

nos440

Cadet
Re: Another confusing serial number HP Mariner

Re: Another confusing serial number HP Mariner

Merc has some kind of morse code with these serial numbers... I have no clue why they would have done it this way.

I also have a 89 15 HP mariner long shaft, Manual start,Tiller control.

Serial number OC240881....

Another one with no absolute match on any website I can find. The Original dealer paper work states 1989.

This 15 HP is obviously newer then my 25 HP by the visual styling and it does not state "Made in Japan" So I'm pretty sure the 25 HP is indeed an early 80's motor... Sure makes absolute parts matching a fun affair.