removing the harmonic balancer on a Mer260/chevy350

alien4fish

Petty Officer 3rd Class
just like the tittle says,I pick up my long block Friday.and i will begin the switch over of all my Marinized parts, and from what i have read I need a special tool to pull the Harmonic balancer off the front of the motor. Is there a trick to pull it off without any damage as its going on the the new long block? Thanks Board,
K

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer
Re: removing the harmonic balancer on a Mer260/chevy350

A regular automotive harmonic balance puller is the thing to use. It's no different from pulling one off a car engine, which is what the Merc 260 is. Around here you can rent one from many auto parts stores. Check in your neighborhood. Remember to replace the seal before you put it back. Lubricate the seal with a little oil. DO NOT hammer the balance back on. Use a long bolt with a fat washer to pull it in. Good luck. Hy

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

You can also rent the installation tool which like mentioned above uses a long rod, a spacer and a bearing which makes it really nice.

alien4fish

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Cool thanks I will rent one Saturday when I begin the switch over, :D

PitchFork

Petty Officer 1st Class

I changed mine a few weeks back and AutoZone had the correct balancer and rented the puller and installer for free. They will charge you for the tools but when you bring them back they credit you the full price.

rkpatt

Recruit

I need to replace the tuning chain and gears on my CCW Mercruser 305 . Same thing on the Mercruiser 305 as the 350 ? Also how do you hold the crank ? I need to replace the tuning chain and gears. - Thanks

lonemust

Petty Officer 1st Class

It should be done the same way. As for holding the crank I have always just held the puller with one hand and the wrench in the other.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Most quality pullers have a insert to protect the threads in the crank. Should your puller not include this important item ,you can use the crank bolt minus the washer to protect the threads

rkpatt

Recruit

I forgot to ask in my previous post. There are 3 bolts and another in the middle. Is this an assembly consisting of a a pulley (or pullies) and balancer . A Link to diagram for this suitable for the GM 305 Mercruiser 225 is appreciated .

Most quality pullers have a insert to protect the threads in the crank. Should your puller not include this important item ,you can use the crank bolt minus the washer to protect the threads

That's a good tip. I always thread the bolt back in before I pull the balancer just in case. Nothing worse than damaged crank threads. ;)

6meter

Chief Petty Officer

I forgot to ask in my previous post. There are 3 bolts and another in the middle. Is this an assembly consisting of a a pulley (or pullies) and balancer . A Link to diagram for this suitable for the GM 305 Mercruiser 225 is appreciated .

The big middle bolt holds the balancer to the crank. The smaller 3/8" bolts hold the pulleys to the balancer.