cold idle start issue (not how to cold start)

Bradley_G

Seaman Apprentice
I've got a '85 johnson 30hp and having a little issue. It cold starts pretty easy (4 or 6 tries) when it's warm outside, and once its warmed up it starts first or second try after that.

Problem is, I do most of my fishing at night, and anchor for about 45 minutes at a spot. when I go to leave my spot, the engine has cooled, as well as the outside temp, and sometimes it takes quite a few tries to get the motor started again,(more than typical cold start it seems) and takes some time again to warm it up so it doesnt stall out when put in gear.

It idles fine after warm, but to get it warm I have to keep fast idle up for a minute or two.

Any ideas on what I could do to fix the start process? I dont know if its as simpe as a tuning/throttle/carb adj. issue, but it makes me hesitant as I dont want to worry about killing the battery when I'm out, or having to recharge it after every 8 hours of use.

thanks for the help.

Bradley_G

Seaman Apprentice
Re: cold idle start issue (not how to cold start)

I have not yet (but will next outing) tried the technique where you hold in the choke for 8-10 seconds prior to starting.

oldgradywhite

Petty Officer 1st Class

Change your plug wires you wont believe the differnce!:D

Bradley_G

Seaman Apprentice

I suppose that would help quite a bit, as I have no idea when they were last replaced. Any other tips that would help the starting process?

jonesg

Admiral

Go to autozone and buy a $12 spark tester, the adjustable gap type.
Set the gap to 3/8th inch and remove all plugs, see if each sparkplug wire will jump the gap with a blue spark.
If yes then the problem is fuel delivery or captain.:)