73 Johnson 9.5 ignition system question

cr9c1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Alot of the older outboards i've worked on have a felt pad that is lubricated / soaked with oil or some sort of lubricating liquid that keeps the cam lubricated so the arms on the points wont wear down.

My 73 9.5 that had dealer installed coils / points / condensers two years ago is lacking the wiper pad. Did they do away with it? Are the newer points redesigned so they don't need lubrication to keep the arms from wearing down?

thx997303

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 73 Johnson 9.5 ignition system question

No, you need that.

It's called a cam oiler wick. They probably lost the little brackets when they took the coils out.

I would suggest getting new cam oiler wicks.

There are 2 of them on that motor.

Edited to add: The tune up kit I recently bought came with condensors, points, and new wicks. Probably not a bad idea to tune it up while the flywheel is off.
The kit cost me a little over $20

cr9c1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thought so. Where can I get them?

Anyone got a picture of how they're attached? Its been a while since I seen one, actually.

thx997303

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I dont have a pic of how they attach, but I'll try and explain.

They are held on by a clip that attaches to one of the screws that goes through the magneto pickup.

The clip is merely two arms pointing down, one of which has a little bur that sticks out and holds the wick.

Edited to add: Here's a link to the parts. Part 21 is the oiler clip, and part 12 is the wick.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1973/9R73B 1973/MAGNETO/parts.html

I am convinced this is the right part, BUT, you need to verify the model of your outboard BEFORE buying parts.

cr9c1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay. That helps. I think I have a motor that has one but not the other. I'll have to take a look at it. When the pads dry up, what do you lubricate them with?

thx997303

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I edited my previous post, that should get you the parts.

Now, the Clymer manual I have suggests lubricating them with 2-3 drops of light engine oil, and also warns NOT to over oil the wick.

cr9c1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cool. I guess the last question I have is this. What plugs should I be using? I could've sworn the last time I looked it said J8C. When I looked for my 72 25hp it said J6C. Is J8C the right plug (Champion)? Whats the difference between the J8C and J6C?

thx997303

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have no idea what the difference is between J8C and J6C, but my book says J4J which was superceded by J6C.

Also, on the motor, it says Autolite A21X are right, and they cross reference to the Autolite 353.

You are of course asking about the 9.5 correct?

Good luck.

cr9c1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks a bunch for the help.

Rick.

Captain

It has been my experience that you only get one as two are not required to lube the cam. Hope your enjoying your 73, I have one as well. Mine hardly ever gets into the water these days but it is ready to go. Best of luck. Rick.