1994 merc 40 hp (4 cyl) trim just clicks?

trappinwi

Recruit
Hey guys, I am a new boat owner and I think made the unforgivable mistake of hooking up the motor leads to the battery backwards.

I hooked up the battery quickly so I could tilt the motor a little bit. As soon as I hit the switch on the side of the motor I heard a click. That's when I realized the leads were connected wrong on the battery...pos lead on neg battery post! :eek:

Now, when I hit the switch all I hear is a clicking sound. I hope someone can tell me that this is a cheap and easy fix! And then instruct me on how to do it.

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: 1994 merc 40 hp (4 cyl) trim just clicks?

Hey guys, I am a new boat owner and I think made the unforgivable mistake of hooking up the motor leads to the battery backwards.

I hooked up the battery quickly so I could tilt the motor a little bit. As soon as I hit the switch on the side of the motor I heard a click. That's when I realized the leads were connected wrong on the battery...pos lead on neg battery post! :eek:

Now, when I hit the switch all I hear is a clicking sound. I hope someone can tell me that this is a cheap and easy fix! And then instruct me on how to do it.

Check the main fuze. I've seen them with a fuze for the trim and the starter circuit. Look around, it'll be a black tube looking thing about 1-1/2" long connected between a red wire.

Don't be suprised if your battery doesn't charge when you run it. The rectifier/regulator won't like what you did to it.

trappinwi

Recruit

The fuse is not blown. Any other thoughts?

RRitt

Captain

how many wires of what color go into the trim motor?

trappinwi

Recruit

2 wire configuration. Blue and Green wire.

RRitt

Captain

get a lawn mower battery or jumper cables. hook motor leads directly to battery. flip polarity to reverse direction. Motor either works or is bad.