Gear oil 30 Mariner

DADDYRABBIT1

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone know how many oz. of gear oil my '90 Mariner 30E 689- will hold?

Just changed it and it seems like it got full with very little. In fact it took so little I drained it again and refilled to be sure w/ the same result.

Just curious.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gear oil 30 Mariner

Did you fill it correctly? Upper vent and lower drain plugs BOTH removed. Fill from the bottom until it comes out the vent. Insert the vent screw first then the lower.

DADDYRABBIT1

Seaman Apprentice

Yes sir, that's why I am just curious to how many oz. it holds. Same amount came out when I drained before filling with new oil, as when I drained it again because of the suprise of how little it took to fill it.

DADDYRABBIT1

Seaman Apprentice

Not exactly sure, just one of those thoughts that hit me all of a sudden because it's due to be changed again, but if I had to guess it only took about 8-10oz. before it started coming out the top vent. I am going to change it again this weekend because it is due and just measure what come out. Was just wondering if anyone knew or had access to the exact oz info.

OnTheWaterNow

Petty Officer 1st Class

My book says (no more than 12.oz if it takes more than that see a dealer.)That is for a 89 30 hp. Before you fill it see how much is in the bottle through the view line on the side fill it subtract the diierence.the smaller motors will hold less I got scared the first time I did mine.Everyone said you dont have enough in there but it would not take anymore. found it in my manual. it was just fine.

DADDYRABBIT1

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the help, finally got the repair manual and found the correct fill amount to be 6.1 oz.

Just seemed like to me that it should have held more.