no circuit breaker / fusebox in boat?!

adamsnez2

Seaman Apprentice
Hey iBoaters :)

Redoing all the wiring in my boat, and I've noticed (knew before actually, just stating) my boat doesn't have any fuses, or circuit breakers anywhere.

It's electric start from mid 60's.

The ignition wires go straight to a box mounted on transom, where the appropriate wires lead to the battery / other end of wiring harness leading into motor.

WHY is there no protection? Common thing in the old school boats?
Should I be adding something SOMEWHERE?

PS: I don't have anything running off main battery.
Just turn key igntion, w/ Nav lights wired to a switch, and electric choke button on dash.

Thoughts? suggestions? Links!?

Bluesmobile

Seaman
Re: no circuit breaker / fusebox in boat?!

depending on your boat and motor and if you have a generator, that box holds the starter solenoid and the voltage regulator. In there should have a pair of fuses: 4amp fuse for the generator and a 20amp fuse for accessories.

At least you HAVE one of those boxes (I dont). I'm rigging a generator to my motor and had to add a box to house the regulator (starter solenoid is already in the engine). Anyway...

If you want accessories, here's how I would do it: run a pair of 8awg wires up front and put in a home-made fuse box there (radioshack $10 in parts). Then wire up switches for your acc (like a bilge pump, other random lights).

Your boat kind of sounds like mine when I got it. I would have rewired the nav lights but decided not to cause the wires where in the factory foam. Two things can happen if something goes wrong with the lights: wires melt or the battery explode, but I have to say you really need to screw up for that to happen.

Hope this kind of helps. If you need anything let me know.