1963 Funliner

steve0361

Recruit
Hi
Here's one I have been working on since I found her in a field. I have some early pictures and some recent. I started on this one in January. I removed all of the rotted wood in the transom and poured it with nidabond. Done a lot of work to the boat and trailor. I Bought a 1970 45 horse Chrysler and totally refurbished it and installed on the boat. Totally rewired boat and still working on her. I have not had her in the water yet but it will be soon. The biggest thing I have left to do is to finish upholstering the seats and then she will be ready to go.
Steve

Attachments

• nidabond.jpg
    nidabond.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 0
  • old.jpg
    old.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 0

Ricks Project

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1963 Funliner

Nice looking boat. I liked the old pic and then the newer pic. Both the trailer and boat have had a transformation. Can't wait to see the finished pic on the Aristocraft Pics thread that Ziggy started.

Keep the pics of the transformation coming.

ziggy

Admiral

gorgeous looking funliner man. she looks like brand new.... great job, ya should be real proud of her..

WaterRookie

Recruit

I know that this thread is quite old...but wanted to see if I could still get a response. I just bought a 1961 Funliner and I also need to replace rotten wood in the transom. I read above that you poured it with Nidabond. I am new to the boat fixerupper world. Can you help me with the process???

last930

Cadet

It's good to hear from Funliner owners! I too am working on an old 17 foot fun liner, a 1961. My kids and I have cleaned up the hull and will shortly install a freshly restored Merc 1000 ( 100 hp).

I thought these boats had no wood in them - how did you figure out there was rotted wood in the transom?

WaterRookie

Recruit

Well....I guess that I am not positive. I have not seen it from my own eyes. I had taken it in to the local Marina to get some engine work done and they said that they had a pretty serious issue to discuss. Well...that is when they told me that the transom was so loose....because the wood inside was rotten. Maybe this is something that I need to research more about. I had a steel plate fabricated to re enforce the transom and that gave it some strength. Have you found a good place for parts? I have alot of fixin up to do. I want to find some original gages. I am also going to need a windshielf before it is all said and done.

last930

Cadet

I actually have not had to find parts for the hull yet - itwas all pretty much there. Most of our work has centered around cleaning and polishing, trailer work (bearings,wiring) and sourcing an engine. The motor that came with the boat has a dead cylinder, so I bought a restored vintage Merc 1000 from Classic Mercury in Hampshire,Il., which still needs to be mounted and set up on the boat. The weather has not cooperated yet, but hopefully we'll have it done in the next week or two. The transom feels pretty solid to me, no movement or anything that I can see.

nextdoor

Cadet

Ok I have a 67 8teen and I had to have the front motor mount replaced (wood). Then discoverd the transom also had rot in the bottom half. The 40 year plus gasket had allowed water to enter. I knew it was old but never crossed my mind what damage it could do. Since motor was out for mount repair, I went for a completehull refiberglass and that is when the transom danage was discovered. I was lucky in that I had this all done over a winter 6 month period. Not lucky in the $$$$$ department. Mount replace was $900 and that transom was $1,000. This was just the fiberglass work and not the shop time for removal of inboard and outboard items. I did have a new gas tank put in at the same time. I was told that there was not any water in the hull itself! I really do want this shop to reword areas on the top side also, but since I hire all this stuff done, it needs to be another year. I think if my family found out how much I spent this last year, they would have me committed! Now I have New engine, rebuilt trailer, new mounts, new transom, rebuilt lower unit, and new bottom half. If it doesn't run this summer............? I know that the new work will last longer the the old work, as times have change and products improved. Good luck to all.

last930

Cadet

Well....I guess that I am not positive. I have not seen it from my own eyes. I had taken it in to the local Marina to get some engine work done and they said that they had a pretty serious issue to discuss. Well...that is when they told me that the transom was so loose....because the wood inside was rotten. Maybe this is something that I need to research more about. I had a steel plate fabricated to re enforce the transom and that gave it some strength. Have you found a good place for parts? I have alot of fixin up to do. I want to find some original gages. I am also going to need a windshielf before it is all said and done.

I will have to find a windshield too at some point as mine has a small crack in it. I've stop drilled it, but who knows how long that will last. I got a picture today of my new engine running in a test tank, so it's getting closer...

brokydub

Recruit

steve - Your boat looks great man. I'm also wrapping up a 1961 funliner restoration, but I need a windshield badly!!! Your looks brand new. Is it original or did you have a new one fabricated? I currnetly have a shop in Canada in the process of fabricating a new one, but they can only 2 piece it with a funky 2 in. seam down the middle. Not at all what I'm looking for. If you or anyone else has any info on replacing this rare shield I would be very interested.