Recommend a good marine mechanic book to me

capslock118

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not really a mercury specific question; but it can be and I have a mercury engine so?

I am really a newb when it comes to engines; cars, boats etc. I know how to change spark plugs. I just figured out with the help of step-by-step instructions from mercury how to replace the fuel pump diaphragm, and I know how to replace oil and gas. That?s about it.

I?m looking for a book that would explain most if not all of the parts of a marine engine and how it fits into the larger picture of the engine running.

So, I have a SELOC book for my mercury engine, and it goes through the steps one needs to take to accomplish a certain repair task; but the book assumes some sort of seemingly basic understanding of the parts you are touching and that you know what will happen if you do something right/wrong.

For instance, if I were to look at my seloc book about ignition timing and synchronization which is part of its yearly maintenance chapter, it might as well be in another language to me. If it wasn?t for the instructions that came with the fuel pump diaphragm, I would have sent it into the mechanic to have it repaired by them.

So I already have a book that explains the how. Now I am looking for a book that explains the why.

I'd imagine text books would be what I am looking for.

Thanks for any input.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Recommend a good marine mechanic book to me

Do some inet research on "how engines work". There is limitless reading on the subject, and it gets as finely grained as explaining the atomics and physics of the combustion chamber. Give yourself a good couple of weeks to read, then consider buying an old jelopy of an engine to test the theories. Starting with a lawn mower engine is a great place to begin, as the theory is identical. A 3.5 HP briggs is the best, as is comes apart easy and isn't too complex.