transducer Problems

I just got a new transducer for my Garmin 240 blue. i am having signal problems. when I mount it on the transom do I need to mount it just below the bottom of the boat, or should I mount it just above the bottom of the boat? it is not a thru hull transducer, it mounts on the outside. thanks for the info.

RL Gman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: transducer Problems

The tranducer need to stick below the hull if you want it to trasmit currect readings while plaining. Otherwise, the hull will cause turbulance and give strange readings. On my flats boat, even with mine correctly mounted, when I turned sharp to port while on plane (it was mounted starboard) the draft was so little that it would still cause problems. My current deeper v hull will give accurate readings in any situation except backing...

If you mount it higher than the bottom of the hull, it will probably work at displacement speeds...

Dont know what you mean by signal problems, didnt give to much info there...while you were floating, speeding along? Where did you currently have it mounted? A picture would help.

the signal we degraded when I was floating running the trolling motor. I had the transducer completely inline with the bottom of the hull. how far should i have the transducer pass the bottom of the boat. I only use the Garmin when i am actually at my fishing location.

RL Gman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I make 2 assumptions when I hear the use of a trolling motor. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

1. You were probably at the bow of the boat?
2. Probably in more of a flats boat/light boat?

I ask this, because if the above is true, perhaps the tranducer was barely submerged and little water turbulance was able to affect the signal?

yes you are right on both accounts about 4-8ft of water I was in the bow and the transducer is on the transom. positioned to the right of the outboard. completely in line with the bottom of the boat. thank you for your help