89 9.9 evinrude

kennydeyes

Recruit
How do i disconnect the shift lever to take off the lower unit? Do I take the carb off? Kennydeyes

Rick.

Captain
Re: 89 9.9 evinrude

Pull the bolts to drop the lower unit. Once out the lower unit will drop about 1/2 inch and you will see a shift rod coupling. Pull the lower bolt completely out and the lower unit will now come all the way down and separate. I hope we have are terminology correct here. This will give you access to the water pump and top of gear case. Best of luck. Rick.

jmendoza

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 89 9.9 evinrude

To take the carb off, remove the low speed knob, the air box cover, and then the two screws holding the airbox to the carb. Then you can remove the choke lever and note how the detented clip goes that comes off with it. Remove the fuel line from the carb. Next, pull out the pull rope about 6 inches and tie a knot in the handle end so it cannot retract. Now tape the pulley of the rope starter to the cup with duct tape so it cannot come apart and remove the center bolt holding the whole rope starter assembly on. Carefully lift it out of the way, use more tape as needed to keep it together. Now you can remove the two nuts holding on the carb. A service manual is invaluable when working on these engines, especially the older ones that cover just the 9.9-15 models.