Old Boat ID

Tdudley

Recruit
I found (what I think) is a great boat ready to be worked on and restored for use while I am in lake country.

Can anyone help me in identifying the type and approximate year of the boat I have attached pictures of.

Thanks

T. Dudley

Attachments

• NC Boat pic 1.jpg
    NC Boat pic 1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 0
  • NC Boat Pic 2.jpg
    NC Boat Pic 2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 0
  • NC Boat Pic 3.jpg
    NC Boat Pic 3.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 0

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Old Boat ID

Tri-hulls are dime a dozen from that era. Got a HIN?

Terry

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Could be any one of dozens of generic tri-hulls made in the 1970s. However, unless you're looking for a major project I would run far, far away from this one, going by that cobbled together transom board. Big external transom reinforcement always means big internal transom issues.

tallcanadian

Captain

You should find the HIN number at the top right hand side of the transom, near that metal plate. She looks tired that old girl. Without looking at it on site, I'd me a bit skeptical about that plank as well. Take your time and dig at it a bit. You should get it for next to nothing if you really want it. Also be wary of that Chrysler engine. They weren't all that reliable and it would be very hard to get parts for it now. Good luck.

jonesg

Admiral

Yeh its a gut job, unless you have time , space, desire and money.
Looks like an old chrysler tri hull, transom is gone.
Find an alum boat with an engine thats still made, chrysler parts are hard to come by.

Tdudley

Recruit

Thanks for the info guys you certainly have given me some food for thought. They are only asking $300 for boat and trailer. The HID is in the third picture, but it might as well been sandscript, because I could not understand it.

I have time, room, desire, but only do-it-yourself money. I currently have a 27' 1981 sailboat I use on the Chesapeake Bay. She was a project boat as well and I did all the work myself, so I think I have the chops to work on this one if I buy it.

Based on the cost, do you think it is still a no go?

tallcanadian

Captain

The HIN has 16 digits. And yes, you can do this, if you have some experience already. But you may want to find another brand outboard or if you really like this one, give it a try. Nothing is impossible.

And I may be a bit partial to tri-hulls. :)

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thats average-high for a boat that blown out. I'd keep looking for one with a more servicable motor.

Terry