95% done on buying a boat... needing advice 19'VIP valiant

65fordguy

Seaman
Hey guys, went and looked at a boat last night, made a deal on it... not paid for yet... he is taking it to a local marine to get oil changed and a clean bill of health... its a 1997 VIP 19' Valiant with 104 hours... boat is a 2 owner... merc v6.. and Clean ( for the most part ) no tears in the interior.. everything works.

my only beef with the boat is the White is an off Whiteish Yellow... I grew up with my neighbor who was a VIP boat dealer rep.. and saw hundreds of these.. They werent yellowish.

What are you guys using to remove the yellowing? I know there are a TON of products out there.. but I know only a few really work.

heres a photo.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

There is some oxidation as well.. the boat has sat outside for the last 7 years... covered.. and has never been restored.

Let me know what ya think..
Thanks guys. I know im new here.. but I feel I will be here a lot.

Josh.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 95% done on buying a boat... needing advice 19'VIP valiant

I doubt that boat was ever white, looks like it is a cream color, which I have seen on other boats of this age. Depending on the level of oxidation, you may want to start with a product like 3M cutting compound, it does a nice job of slowly taking the finish down so you do not take off too much material at a time. 13 years old and that few hours means it probably sat on the hard a lot. I would be cautious about inspecting all rubber seals and parts as they tend to dry out with that much non use. If the boat was cared for though it could be a good buy, what are you paying for the boat?

65fordguy

Seaman

a side image... this reminds me.. the guy removed the V and the T from Valiant.. it now reads Alian. lol. o boy. I think I'll call VIP and get a new decal.

you can also see the strips coming off.. he did cut them so they wouldnt peel more.. but i think ill go ahead and remove them. (please tell me this wont be an ordeal)

Trailer needs fresh paint.. that I can do. I've got the guns and compressor to make that look new for 30 bucks... wheels just have dirt and rust ... I've got a fix for that as well. aluminum wheels and new tires.

RL Gman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just wanted to say nice looking boat! I've always like those VIP's!

Also, 104 hours for a '97? I know its not unheard of, but I doubt it, sounds like the meter has been replaced or something. NOT that it really means much...I def wouldnt use the hours as a reason to buy or not buy unless it was obvious that something was up...(I shouldnt have even brought the point up lol!)

As for the cleaning...I just use a standard vinyl (sp?) cleaner. Smells like crap, and a lot of elbow greese, but mine will come right back to that crisp white shine...I due the "big clean" twice a year...seems to do the trick.

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

That's a really nice boat and looks like its in great condition. Don't be discouraged buying the boat do to the yellowish and some fading on the red. I have a 1989 and used toilet bowl cleaner to clean off the yellowish on the hull and Vaseline for a quick fix on the fading red. And came out awesome! Let us know how you make out.

65fordguy

Seaman

I doubt that boat was ever white, looks like it is a cream color, which I have seen on other boats of this age. Depending on the level of oxidation, you may want to start with a product like 3M cutting compound, it does a nice job of slowly taking the finish down so you do not take off too much material at a time. 13 years old and that few hours means it probably sat on the hard a lot. I would be cautious about inspecting all rubber seals and parts as they tend to dry out with that much non use. If the boat was cared for though it could be a good buy, what are you paying for the boat?

the owner had a local marine go through the boat when he bought it..
The boat had around 40 hours when he got it.. which was 3 years ago...
the carb was gone through, new gaskets, new fuel pump, and the lower unit was serviced.. and has been every year. (oil changed)

the first owner apparently was older and lived on the water.. and had a larger boat or something.. it wasnt used.. so he sold it. The current owner has taken care of it.. he is an aircraft mechanic... with a friend who is a mercruiser dealer and mechanic..( i have his info ) the engine started up with only 2 turns ... he ran it up to temp.. killed it about 20 min later asked him to start it up and fired on the first. taking it out saturday to run it for about an hour or so..

paying 6 for it.

he is throwing in all new lights for the trailer, a spare windshield( the original one-- had a rock chip) , ropes, anchor, new knee board ( dont really care but hey its free) about 10 life jackets, some other new parts he bought for the boat.. including a magnetic wheel chock *spelling*

he is selling the boat to buy a camper for his wife and kids... wife doesnt like the boat with 3 little girls.

he was asking 8 for it.

RL Gman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like a deal to me, especially if it was maintained as well as you say!

65fordguy

Seaman

I just wanted to say nice looking boat! I've always like those VIP's!

Also, 104 hours for a '97? I know its not unheard of, but I doubt it, sounds like the meter has been replaced or something. NOT that it really means much...I def wouldnt use the hours as a reason to buy or not buy unless it was obvious that something was up...(I shouldnt have even brought the point up lol!)

As for the cleaning...I just use a standard vinyl (sp?) cleaner. Smells like crap, and a lot of elbow greese, but mine will come right back to that crisp white shine...I due the "big clean" twice a year...seems to do the trick.

I had my doubts about that as well, I dont want to get taken... the guy seemed straight forward... told me if anything happened to the boat in the first month or so he would fix it...I know motors.. it fired to quick.. and ran to smooth.. a bit of high idle 1000k would like to see it at 800k.. but It may need to be that way for a boat. i dont know. it revved without bogging and was quick to respond.. he didnt hesitate to throw it in gear and run it up a little.. didnt want to do to much on the water hose attachement.. it did make a little noise when going into gear.. but, i may be wrong... every boat i've been on does this to some degree.. I dont expect perfect here.. but it will get me out in the water without going broke.

65fordguy

Seaman

I've heard of on and off... buff magic.. a few other spray on products... I not afraid to wet sand it.. but that would be a last resort for me.. there are a couple scuffs that may need it... and a couple nicks.. I may need to repair.. any fillers out there for that?

71-South

Seaman Apprentice

Nice looking boat. I love my VIP. I wish they were still around.

RL Gman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had my doubts about that as well, I dont want to get taken... the guy seemed straight forward... told me if anything happened to the boat in the first month or so he would fix it...I know motors.. it fired to quick.. and ran to smooth.. a bit of high idle 1000k would like to see it at 800k.. but It may need to be that way for a boat. i dont know. it revved without bogging and was quick to respond.. he didnt hesitate to throw it in gear and run it up a little.. didnt want to do to much on the water hose attachement.. it did make a little noise when going into gear.. but, i may be wrong... every boat i've been on does this to some degree.. I dont expect perfect here.. but it will get me out in the water without going broke.

You said Merc v6 and I didnt see mention of the drive, but I'd obviously bet on the alpha...little noise going into gear, completely normal. In the water, it will be even more subtle, no problems there. Higher idle, not nessasary for a boat, and can easily be changed by adjusting the carb.

Cant tell much on muffs when it comes to reving it, its practically meaningless, when you put it to load you'll know.

Overall though, as I said before, sounds like you got a great deal and it's a beautiful boat!

Buying from a straight foward boater is always nice, especially if you can trust his maintainance schedule, might as well be 10 years newer! Congrats again and sounds like you have done excellent in your first 95% of buying!:)

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

Idle sounds high, should be 700RPM's or so. Hi idle can damage the outdrive, so you want to get that checked out. If you do buy it, get the merc manuals on line and read them cover to cover. It really helps, not too different from a car motor but enough differences that you want to understand how everything works and how to troubleshoot.

texomatom

Seaman

I have a '98 Valiant that I purchased new in the spring of '99. It's been a reliable, fun boat and has held up well over the years. I had to store it outside (covered) for the first five years and that took a toll on the upholstery. I replaced the enging hatch and rear seat plywood and vinyl (cushons ere fine). It's been stored indoors since.
My only concern has been the wood floor. I am constantly checking for soft spots but have yet to find one(may just be my paranoia :) ). The floor was sealed with csm at the factory (discovered when I removed the carpet from the bilge area where the battery and trim pump are located - who would carpet a bilge?). I *think* the hole for the ski locker was cut after the floor was covered and the edges on mine aren't sealed. Stick your head in the ski locker and make sure the floor looks ok from underneath. Mine hasn't been an issue but thought I'd mention it.
Mine has the FI 4.3 and has been reliable as well.
If you have any questions feel free to PM.
There's picture somewhere in the VIP forum here....
<edit to add link to picture thread>
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=164533
This picture is a few years old. I have since added a wakeboard tower.
Tom

65fordguy

Seaman

the guy just called and said he went ahead and took it into H&W marine here and had them do a full de winterization.. oil change.. and inspection.. $330.

going to either head over to the marine and talk to a mechanic or at least call.

if she gets a clean bill the other 5% will be done when we take her out.

GXL205 Deke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks nice, should provide alot of fun this summer.

65fordguy

Seaman

any info about cleaning the hull?

phbksb

Cadet

I have a 1983 Seasrite that I bought new, I store it outside with a really good cover.After about 5 years I had to replace the floor and stringers. I love this boat and the new floor and stringers were cheaper than a new boat. And 20 years later the floor is solid as a rock. I power buff once a year with 3M cleaner/polish and wax with Carnauba wax. Looks lihe new when done. Scratches in the jell coat art tough. I have tried everthing on the market with little succes. But a good polishing makes them less noticable. It really helps if you like working on your boat almost as much as taking it out.

texomatom

Seaman

Hey 65FG,

Did you purchase the VIP?
Just looking for an update.

Tom

65fordguy

Seaman

Done DEAL!! took it out monday... she rides like a dream.

Got rid of the maroon strip at the top.. and polished and buffed er out.
Looks like a new boat. almost. still needs more attention.. and repaint the trailer... any advice there guys?