Bring me up to speed...history lesson.

paulspaddle

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I did a few searches, but didn't produce exactly what I'm looking for.

Currently I'm 'toying' with idea of selling my i/o and going to an outboard. I am looking to spend around $5000-6000 on the outboard motor. (I will spend more if there is good reason) The type of boat I'm am looking to power is a 18' Starcraft SS, Sylvan, Bluefin. They are typically rated up to 150HP. I don't think I'd want anything less than 115.

Can someone give me an 'overview' of what year/advancements I should be looking for? Is there an ideal size between 115 and 150? A optimum power to weight ratio. Efficiency is important to me also.

I realize that last comment could seem ridiculous so please hold back the snarky comments.....If someone were to ask this type of question regarding i/o's my answer would be stick to Mercruiser/Volvo's, 3.0 is underpowered, 4.3 is ideal, 5.0 is plenty to over powered for 18'. This is an arguable comment, but a safe general comment.

In that price and power range any recommendations on a 'ideal' set up? Should I consider Merc's? Hope I'm not ignorantly opening up a can of worms....thanks.

ps....of course condition is everything when it comes to used, I'm just talking motors here, not 'is this a good deal'?

paulspaddle

Re: Bring me up to speed...history lesson.

Sorry....this needs to be moved to "non-repair outboard questions"....thanks mod!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You want a 1978 or newer JohnyRude with power tilt & trim.

My '81 Evinrude 90 pushes my 18' SS at 39 MPH. A 140 would be the cat's meow. A 150, which steps up to a V6, would be too heavy in my opinion for the slight power gain.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I also believe that many people consider the newer "loopers" to be better than the older "crossflows".

paulspaddle

Thanks, that's the kinda of tidbits I'm putting together.

"loopers", "crossflows"...what is newer? - 80's, 90's, 00's?

Some calling around and it looks like $5000 will get a late 90's, 115HP. I think that's as small as I want to go...I agree 140ish sounds ideal.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Loopers are newer though they did make both concurrently for a while. I think 120's and many 140's were loopers. 90's 115's were crossflows. I could be wrong.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Avoid the early Fichts and Optimax engines. Current Etec and Optis are good motors although there seems to be a rash of posts lately about Optimax issues. Avoid carbed four strokes. Why would you want a carb on a four stroke when EFI is turn key just like your car.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You will need at least 70% of the rated power for satisfactory performance. That means over 105HP.

I recommend an outboard that will not find itself banned due to emissions in the near future. That means direct injected 2 stroke or EFI 4 stroke.

I also recommend an outboard with no history of serious and expensive failures. That rules out OMC FICHT and early Merc Optimax.

Of what is left I find two outboards most attractive: ETEC 115 to 150 or Suzuki/Johnson DF140.

I think you can find a DF140 for less bux. It has the advantage of having the best power to weight ratio in the recommended field at only about 420lb.

There are fine Tohatsu and Yamaha engines that meet my specs but there are a lot more shops that service JohnnyZukis.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Now that I think about it, a nice gentleman I bought a used fuel tank from off of craigslist had a Suzi DF140 on his Whaler that he had bought BRAND NEW for something crazy low like $9k. Something to check in to.

paulspaddle

Suzuki and Johnson have merged? (I've been out of the loop for a while)

When did the ETEC technology start? The DF140 start? I'm trying to put timelines together.

The major shop in our cabin area sells and services Yamaha's. Most of the commercial fisherman in the area run them.

A brand new 140 for under 10k is very cheap....wouldn't that be nice to hang on the back of a 18' SuperSport?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Johnson is gone. In their final years they were just re-badged 4 stroke Suzukis.

paulspaddle

Ah, ok, that Johnson/Suzuki is 'relatively' recent.

I've been reading about the ETEC's...it hard to find a single poor review...did God build them?

I'm starting to formulate a plan here. Look for a purchase a SS or the like. Sell the motor, fix up the boat...then sell my i/o and re-power it.