Glassing Stringers

mytquinn

Cadet
Well, I have my stringers PL'd, and I am wondering if I should glass them in before I add in any more braces. My boat is a 17 foot bowrider that only has two stringers, and foam on either side. I have removed all the foam from the hull, and I am adding in some braces/ribs to give more support to the floor, as I am not planning to replace the pour in foam. I imagine I will use noodles and 2" rigid insulation instead.

Thanks in advance.

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Glassing Stringers

Well you def have to glass them in at some point. As to when, it depends on how the other supports are going to lay in.

Got pics?
Terry

mytquinn

Cadet

Here is an example of one of the braces that I want to add.

100_1509.jpg

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would glass the stringer, fit the brace, and then glass the brace in like a stringer. Make sure you put limber holes in to allow the different compartments to drain to the bilge.

Terry

mytquinn

Cadet

Thanks Terry,

That seems easier and logical, I just have no experience in this area, and wasn't sure if I would be sacrificing strength by doing it one way versus the other. I do plan on allowing for drainage by clipping the bottom corners off of the braces so that any water can run down where the stringer and hull meet.

Do you think I should add limber holes through the stringer from each new compartment, or just through the stringer back by the transom where it would end up in the bilge?

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

I didn't think about leaving drainage areas on the outsides of my stringers. I'm redoing a 1986 Bayliner floor. Bayliner didnt originally have drain holes on outsides of stringers, but the floor was sealed above the outer parts. I might be putting in seat post holes, which would let water in. hmmm. I might ne in the same boat as you.

mytquinn

Cadet

Mine didn't have any drains either, and the foam was saturated. The area outside of the stringers were sealed compartments, so water should not have gotten in there in the first place. Water has a tendency of getting to places it shouldn't which is why I'm adding drains. I'm looking forward to see how it performs without all that water weight.

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

As long as each compartment has at least one path to the bilge, I think it should be good. I would do what you said and clip the corners of the braces, and have one liber hole in each stringer at the rear.

Just make sure you store her bow up-plug out!

Terry